Prof. Linda Zou
Full Professor, Department of Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering
Address: P.O. Box: 54224, Masdar City Campus, Abu Dhabi
Telephone: +971 (02) 8109304
Fax: +971 (02) 8109901
Prof. Linda Zou joined Khalifa University of Science and Technology, as a full professor in October 2014. Her research interests include the application of nanotechnology and membrane science to the development of low energy and high efficiency novel desalination and water purification solutions.
Dr. Zou’s research outcomes have been published in more than 100 journal articles and conference presentations, which are frequently cited (h-index 44, citation 6200+, Google Scholar 2018). She is the chief investigator of many frontier research projects sponsored by the Australian Research Council and the Center of Excellence in Desalination Australia. At Khalifa University, Dr. Zou leads a ground-breaking research project using nanotechnology to develop cloud seeding materials, which was awarded by the inaugural UAE Research Program on Rain Enhancement Science for 2016-2018. She is also the recipient of the UK-Gulf Institutional Links 2016 grants awarded by British Council for 2017-2019. Additionally, she is currently working on two desalination membrane projects funded by Abu Dhabi Education Council, and a collaborative program with the University of Manchester. She is also involved in the Masdar Renewable Energy Desalination Program, and leads a novel desalination research project on capacitive deionization in partnership with Veolia Dr. Zou is a research-focused faculty member, provides graduate level teaching and advises several PhD and Master’s students at Khalifa University. Dr. Zou is leading the following research topics, which are available for MSc and PhD students starting from 2015 to present:
- Nanostructured cloud seeding materials for efficient rain formation
- Nanomaterials based electrode materials in capacitive deionization application
- Graphene assisted salt selective desalination membranes
- Nanomaterials and ion exchange membranes for water desalination
- Forward osmosis membrane process and fouling
- Water reuse and recycle for agriculture by using membrane technologies
- Membrane process (non-biological) to treat oil and gas produced water for recycling and reuse
- Desalinating Brine Utilization.
- Ph.D, Applied Chemistry, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, 1998
- M.Eng, Environmental Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, 1991.
- B.Eng, Chem and Env Engineering. Beijing University of Technology, 1989
- Nanotechnology in water purification
- Environmental Engineering
- Novel cloud seeding materials
- Capacitive deionization
- Forward osmosis process
- Graphene-assisted membranes
- Fouling resistant membrane surface
Peer reviewed journal articles
- M Alhumaidi, F Arshad, C Aubry, F Ravaux, J McElhinney, A Hasan and L Zou, Electrostatically coupled SiO2 nanoparticles/L-DOPA antifouling coating on a nanofiltration membrane, Nanotechnology, 31, 2020, 275602
- H Younes and L Zou, Asymmetric configuration of pseudocapacitive composite and rGO electrodes for enhanced capacitive deionization, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6, 2020, 392.
- H Liang, O Möhler, S Griffiths, L Zou, Enhanced Ice Nucleation and Growth by Porous Composite of rGO and Hydrophilic Silica Nanoparticles, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2020, 124, 1,
- A Alabi, L Cseri, A Al Hajaj, G Szekely, P Budd, L Zou, Electrostatically-coupled graphene oxide nanocomposite cation exchange membrane, Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 594, 2019, pages 117457.
- H Younes, F Ravaux, N El Hadri, Linda Zou, Nanostructuring of pseudocapacitive MnFe2O4/Porous rGO electrodes in capacitive deionization, Electrochimica Acta, Volume 306, 20 May 2019, Pages 1-8.
- F Al Suwaidi, H Younes, V Sreepal, RR Nair, C Aubry, L Zou, Strategies for tuning hierarchical porosity of 3D rGO to optimize ion electrosorption, D Materials, 6, 2019, 045010.
- H Liang, MT Abshaev, AM Abshaev, BM Huchunaev, S Griffiths, L Zou, Water vapor harvesting nanostructures through bioinspired gradient-driven mechanism, Chemical Physics Letters 728, 2019 167-173
- M Ćurić, M Lompar, D Romanic, L Zou, H Liang, Three-Dimensional Modelling of Precipitation Enhancement by Cloud Seeding in Three Different Climate Zones, Atmosphere 10 (6), 2019, 294
- M Lompar, M Ćurić, D Romanic, L Zou, H Liang, Precipitation enhancement by cloud seeding using the shell structured TiO2/NaCl aerosol as revealed by new model for cloud seeding experiments. Atmospheric Research, 2018, 212(November), Pages 202-212.
- Cseri, J. Baugh, A. Alabi, A. AlHajaj, L. Zou, R. AW Dryfe, P. M. Budd, G. Szekely, Graphene oxide–polybenzimidazolium nanocomposite anion exchange membranes for electrodialysis. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2018, 6(48) pp 24728-24739
- Z Zhang, N Li, Y Sun, H Yang, X Zhang, Y Li, G Wang, J Zhou, L Zou, Z. Hao, Interfacial Force Assisted In Situ Fabrication of Graphene Oxide Membrane for Desalination. ACS applied materials & interfaces, 2018, 10 (32), pp 27205–27214.
- A Alabi, A AlHajaj, L Cseri, G Szekely, P Budd, L Zou, Review of nanomaterials-assisted ion exchange membranes for electromembrane desalination, 2018, npj Clean Water 1 (1), 10
- Tai, H. Liang, N. El Hadri, A. M. Abshaev, B. M. Huchinaev, S. Griffiths, M. Jouiad, and L. Zou, Core/Shell Microstructure Induced Synergistic Effect for Efficient Water-Droplet Formation and Cloud-Seeding Application. ACS Nano, 2017, 11 (12), pp 12318–12325.
- Wang, C. Aubry, Y. Chen, H. Song, and L. Zou, Insights on Tuning the Nanostructure of rGO Laminate Membranes for Low Pressure Osmosis Process” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2017, 9 (27), pp 22509–22517.
- Chun, S. Kim, G. J. Millar, D. Mulcahy, I. S. Kim, L. Zou, Forward osmosis as a pre-treatment for treating coal seam gas associated water: Flux and fouling behaviors. Desalination, 503(2017), pages 144-152.
- Hanaa M. Hegab, Ahmed ElMekawy, Thomas G. Barclay, Andrew Michelmore, Linda Zou, Dusan Losic, Christopher P. Saint & Milena Ginic-Markovic. A Novel Fabrication Approach for Multifunctional Graphene based Thin Film Nanocomposite Membranes with Enhanced Desalination and Antibacterial Characteristics. Scientific Reports, 7, 7490 (2017) doi:10.1038/s41598-017-07531-y
- Chun, S. Kim, G. J. Millar, D. Mulcahy, I. S. Kim, L. Zou, Corrigendum to: Fouling characteristics and their implications on cleaning of a FO-RO pilot process for treating brackish surface water, Desalination, 394(2016), Desalination, 402(2017) pages 185-187.
- Chun, D. Mulcahy, L. Zou, I. S Kim, P. Le-Clech, Influence of hydrophobic and electrostatic membrane surface properties on biofouling in a submerged membrane bioreactor under different filtration modes. Desalination and Water Treatment 57 (2016), 26641-26647
- Zhang, L. Zou, C. Aubry, M. Jouiad, Z. Hao. Chemically crosslinked rGO laminate film as an ion selective barrier of composite membrane. Journal of Membrane Science, 515 (2016), Pages 204–211
- M. Hegab, A. ElMekawy, T. G. Barclaye, A. Michelmore, L. Zou, C. P. Saint, M. Ginic-Markovic, Effective in-situ chemical surface modification of forward osmosis membranes with polydopamine-induced graphene oxide for biofouling mitigation. Desalination 385 (2016) 126–137.
- M. Hegab, A. ElMekawy, L. Zou, D. Mulcahy, Christopher P. Saint a, Milena Ginic-Markovic. The controversial antibacterial activity of graphene-based materials, Carbon 105 (2016) page 362-376
- Zhang, L. Zou, Y.Wimalasiri, J. Lee and Y. Chun, Reduced graphene oxide/polyaniline conductive anion exchange membranes in capacitive deionisation process. Electrochimica Acta, 182(2015), 383-390.
- Zaviska, Y. Chun, M. Heran, L. Zou “Using FO as pre-treatment of RO for high scaling potential brackish water: energy and performance optimization”. Journal of Membrane Science. 492(2015)430-438.
- M. Hegab, L. Zou, “Graphene Oxide-assisted Membranes: Fabrication and Potential Applications in Desalination and Water Purification” Journal of Membrane Science. 484 (2015), 95–106.
- M. Hegab, Y. Wimalasiri, M. Ginic-Markovic, Linda Zou, “Improving the Fouling Resistance of Brackish Water Membranes via Surface Modification with Graphene Oxide Functionalized Chitosan” Desalination, 365 (2015), pages 99-107. (W)
- Zhang, L. Zou, B. P. Ladewig, D. Mulcahy “Synthesis and characterization of superhydrophilic conductive heterogeneous PANI/PVDF anion-exchange membranes” Desalination, 362 (2015), Pages 59-67.
- Wimalasiri, M. Mossad, L. Zou “Thermodynamics and kinetics of adsorption of ammonium ions by graphene laminate electrodes in capacitive deionization”, Desalination, 357 (2015), Pages 178–188.
- Chun, F. Zaviska, E. Cornelissen, L. Zou “A case study of fouling development and flux reversibility of treating actual lake water by forward osmosis process” , Desalination, 357(2015), Pages 55–64.
- M. Hegab, A. E. Mekawy, T. G. Barclay, A. Michelmore, L. Zou, C. P. Saint, M. Ginic-Markovic “Fine-tuning the surface of forward osmosis membranes via grafting graphene oxide: performance patterns and biofouling propensity”. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7(32) (2015), 18004-18016.