Dr. Young-Ji Byon
Associate Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Civil Infrastructure & Environmental Engineering
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (0)2-5018336
Fax: +971 (0)2-4472442
Dr. Young-Ji Byon was born in 1979 in Seoul, South Korea and moved to Toronto, Canada in 1994. He received his B.A.Sc. (2003) degree from the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Toronto, Canada; and M.A.Sc. (2005), and Ph.D. (2010) degrees from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Toronto, Canada, specializing in Transportation Engineering. From 2003 to 2009, he worked as a researcher in the ITS lab at the University of Toronto. From 2009 to 2010, he was a visiting researcher at the University of Chile, Santiago, Chile. From 2010 to 2011, he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Calgary, Canada.
In 2012, he joined the Department of Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering at Khalifa University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi, UAE as an Assistant Professor. In 2017, he was promoted to an Associate Professor rank and is currently an Associate Chair of the department.
He has recently won a Best Academic Research Award from DAST 2018 (A national competition in UAE) and was featured on various media channels.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, 2010
- M.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, 2005
- B.A.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, 2003
- Transportation Engineering
– Intelligent Transportation System (ITS)
– Transportation Planning
– Public Transit
– Highway Engineering
– Airport Systems
- Geomatics and Surveying
- Geographic Information System (GIS), Global Positioning System (GPS), and Remote Sensing
- Engineering Graphics and Visualization
- Statics, Engineering Dynamics
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Public Transit
- Highway Engineering
- Transportation Security and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Artificial Intelligence
Active Research Grants as Principal Investigator (PI)
KAIST-KUST Institute Seed Money Project 2018 (12 months) AI-empowered Large Scale Traffic Signal Control for use in Metropolitan Area (AED 220,000 = USD 60,000)
ADEK Award for Research Excellence (AARE) 2018-2019 (24 months) Air Traffic Noise Monitoring with ADS-B Signal, GIS, and BIM (AED 406,829= USD 110,000)
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers
- Kim, Y., Byon, Y.J., and Yeo, H., Enhancing Healthcare Accessibility Measurements using GIS: A Case Study in Seoul, Korea, PONE-D-17-22951R2, PLOS ONE, 2018
- Byon, Y.J., Cortés, C., Jeong, Y., Martinez, F., Munizaga, M., and Zúñiga, M., Bunching and Headway Adherence Approach to Public Transport with GPS, International Journal of Civil Engineering
- Oh, S., Byon, Y.J., Jang, K., and Yeo, H., Short-term Travel-time Prediction on Highway: A Review on Model-based Approach, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 2018
- Byon, Y.J., Ha, J.S., Cho, C.S., Kim, T.Y., and Yeun, C.Y., Real-Time Transportation Mode Identification Using Artificial Neural Networks Enhanced with Mode Availability Layers: A Case Study in Dubai, Applied Sciences, Vol 7, Issue 9, 923, 2017
- Baek, J., Hableel, E., Byon, Y.J., Wong, D., Jang, K., and Yeo, H., How to Protect ADS-B: Confidentiality Framework and Efficient Realization Based on Staged Identity-Based Encryption, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Article in Press, 2016
- Oh, S., Byon, Y.J., and Yeo, H., Improvement of Search Strategy with K-Nearest-Neighbors Approach for Traffic State Prediction, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, April 2016, Vol 17, Issue 4, pp. 1146-1156,
- Baek, J., Byon, Y.J., Hableel, E., and Al-Qutayri, M., Making air traffic surveillance more reliable: a new authentication framework for automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) based on online/offline identity-based signature, Security and Communication Networks, March 2015, Vol 8, Issue 5, pp. 740-750,
- Oh, S., Byon, Y.J., Jang, K., and Yeo, H., Short-term travel-time prediction on highway: A Review on Data-driven approach, Transportation Reviews, Jan 2015, Vol 35, Issue 1, pp. 4-32, DOI: 10.1080/01441647.2014.992496
- Byon, Y.J., and Liang, S., Real-Time Transportation Mode Detection using Smartphones and Artificial Neural Networks: Performance Comparisons between Smartphones and Conventional Global Positioning System sensors, Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations,
DOI: 10.1080/15472450.2013.824762, 2014
- Jeong, Y.-S., Byon, Y.-J., Castro-Neto, M.M., and Easa, S.M., Supervised Weighting-Online Learning Algorithm for Short-Term Traffic Flow Prediction, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2013, Vol. 14, Issue: 4, pp. 1700-1707,
- Byon, Y.J., B. Abdulhai, and A. Shalaby. Incorporating Scenic View, Slope, and Crime Rates into Route Choices: Emphasis on 3-D GIS with Digital Elevation Models and Crime Rate Geospatial Data. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Review Board, No. 2183, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 2010, pp. 94-102.
- Byon, Y. J., B. Abdulhai, and A. Shalaby. Real-Time Transportation Mode Detection via Tracking Global Positioning System Mobile Devices. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 13, No. 4, October 2009, pp. 161-170.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- An, H. and Byon, Y.J., Vehicle and Loader Routing Problem, Proceedings of the 2016 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Anaheim, California, USA, 21-24 May, 2016
- Oh, S., Byon, Y.J., and Yeo, H., Impact of Traffic State Transition and Oscillation on Highway Performance with Section-based Approach, 18th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, 15 – 18 September 2015
Hableel, E., Baek, J., Byon, Y.J., Wong, D.S., How to protect ADS-B: Confidentiality framework for future air traffic communication, 2015 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), pp155-160, April 26th -May 1st 2015.
- Roh, C.G., Son, B., Byon, Y.J., and Kim, T.H., Influence of Heavy Vehicles on Highway Traffic Flows: Case study in Greater Seoul Area, Korea. TRB 94th Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., January 11-15, 2015.
- Hableel, E., Byon, Y.J. and Baek, J., Public Key Infrastructure for UAE: A Case Study, The 6th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks, November, 2013 DOI: 10.1145/2523514.2527099
- Byon, Y.J., Jeong, Y.S., Easa, S.M., and Baek, J., Feasibility Analysis of Transportation Applications Based on APIs of Social Network Services, The 8th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2013), December 9-12, 2013, London UK.
Baek, J., Byon, Y.J., Hableel, E., and Al-Qutayri, M., An Authentication Framework for Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Based on Online/Offline Identity-Based Signature, the 8th International Conference on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud and Internet Computing, October 28-30, 2013, University of Technology of Compiegne, Compiegne, France.
- Byon, Y.J. and Jeong, Y.S., Transit Passengers’ Schedule Awareness and Vehicle Load Level Simulation in Abu Dhabi, 2013 ITS America Annual Meeting and Exhibition, April 22-24, 2013, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- Li, R.Y., Liang, S.H.L, Lee, D.W., and Byon, Y.J., TrafficPulse: A Mobile GISystem for Transportation, MobiGIS 2012 ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Mobile Geographic Information Systems, November 6th 2012, Redondo Beach, CA, USA.
- Byon, Y. J., A. Shalaby, and B. Abdulhai. Traffic Data Fusion using SCAAT Kalman Filters. TRB 89th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers DVD. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2010. pp. 16.
- Byon, Y.J., B. Abdulhai, and A. Shalaby. Impact of Sampling Rate of GPS-Enabled Cell Phones on Mode Detection and GIS Map Matching Performance. TRB 86th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers DVD. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2007. pp. 21.
- Byon, Y. J., A. Shalaby, and B. Abdulhai. GISTT: GPS-GIS Integrated System for Travel Time Surveys. TRB 85th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers CD-ROM. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2006. pp. 16.
- Byon, Y.J., B. Abdulhai, and A. Shalaby. Travel Time Collection and Traffic Monitoring via GPS Technologies. 9th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, ITSC 2006, Sept 17-20, Toronto, Canada, Paper Number: 432
- Byon, Y.J., B. Abdulhai, and A. Shalaby. Travel Time Collection and Real Time Route Guidance with Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographical Information System (GIS). CSCE 2005 Conference, Toronto, Canada.