Dr. Hosni Ghedira
Professor of Practice
Director of the UAE Research Center for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment
Address: P.O. Box: 54224 (Abu Dhabi)
Telephone: +971 (02) 810 9124
Fax: +971 (02) 810 9901
Dr. Hosni Ghedira is presently the Director of the Research Centre for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment at Masdar Institute (Abu Dhabi, UAE) and the Associate Chair of the Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering Department at Khalifa University. Dr. Ghedira received his MSc degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Sherbrooke (Canada) and his PhD in Water Sciences from the University of Quebec (Canada) in 1997 and 2001, respectively. Before moving to the UAE, Dr. Ghedira spent six years at the City University of New York as assistant professor and research associate professor. He also acted as director of the Environmental Remote Sensing and Image Processing Laboratory at the NOAA Cooperative Remote Sensing Science & Technology Center (NOAA-CREST) in New York from 2003 to 2008.
Dr. Ghedira has played a leading role in establishing Masdar Institute as regional research hub in the field of earth observation, satellite image processing and atmospheric modeling, attracting more than $15M of external funding over the last 5 years. Masdar Institute is now recognized as a regional research hub for adaptation of earth observation technologies for environmental monitoring in desert and arid environments, working on a diverse range of research projects with special focus on desert and arid climate such as urban heat island studies; monitoring oil spills, algal blooms, solar resources, and dust storms; national-level water budget; land-atmosphere interactions; modelling of hydro-meteorological variables; and climate change studies.
Dr. Ghedira is an active member in several regional and international working groups in the field of clean energy policies, space technologies and environmental monitoring. He has authored and co-authored more than 150 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and referred conference proceedings. He has also supervised more than twenty PhD and MSc theses in the USA and the UAE. Dr. Ghedira has participated as invited speaker, panelist and session chair in several international conferences and forums covering environmental monitoring, renewable energy resource assessment and space technologies.
- Ph.D. in Water Sciences, INRS-Eau, University of Quebec, Canada, 2002
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, University of Sherbrooke QC, Canada, 1997
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, ENSET, University of Tunis II, Tunisia, 1994
- Environmental Remote Sensing and Satellite Image Processing
- Introduction to Water Resources
- Environmental Data Analysis
- Environmental remote sensing and satellite image processing
- Application of remote sensing in water resources management in arid regions
- Water quality monitoring from space
- Renewable energy resource and technology performance assessment in desert and arid environments
- Energy and Meteorology: modeling and forecasting
Journal Publications (last 5 years)
- Eissa, Y., P. Blanc, H. Ghedira, A. Oumbe, L. Wald, A fast and simple model to estimate the contribution of the circumsolar irradiance to measured broadband beam irradiance under cloud-free conditions in desert environment, Solar Energy, Vol 163, pp. 497-509 (2018).
- Eissa, Y., N. Beegum, I. Gherboudj, N. Chaouch, J. Al Sudairi, R. Jones, N. Al Dobayan, and H. Ghedira, Prediction of the day-ahead clear-sky down-welling surface solar irradiances using the REST2 model and WRF-CHIMERE simulations over the Arabian Peninsula, Solar Energy, Vol 162, pp. 36-44 (2018).
- Beegum, N., I. Gherboudj, N. Chaouch, M. Temimi and, H. Ghedira, Simulation and analysis of synoptic scale dust storms over the Arabian Peninsula, Atmospheric Research, Volume 199, pp. 62-81 (2018).
- Al Shehhi, M., I. Gherboudj, J. Zhao and H. Ghedira, Improved atmospheric correction and chlorophyll-a remote sensing models for turbid waters in a dusty environment, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Volume 133, pp. 46-60 (2017).
- Al Shehhi, M., I. Gherboudj and H. Ghedira, In situ spectral response of the Arabian Gulf and Sea of Oman coastal waters to bio-optical properties, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, Volume 175, pp. 235-243 (2017).
- Zhao, J., Temimi, M., and H. Ghedira, Remotely sensed sea surface salinity in the hyper-saline Arabian Gulf: Application to Landsat 8 OLI data, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Volume 187, pp. 168–177 (2017).
- Zhao, J., Temimi, M., Al Azhar, M., and H. Ghedira, Analysis of bloom conditions in fall 2013 in the Strait of Hormuz using satellite observations and model simulations, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol 115, pp. 315-323 (2017).
- Chaouch, N., M. Temimi, M. Weston, and H. Ghedira, Sensitivity of the meteorological model WRF-ARW to planetary boundary layer schemes during fog conditions in a coastal arid region, Atmospheric Research, Vol.187, pp. 106–127, (2017).
- Gherboudj, I., S. N. Beegum, and H. Ghedira, Identifying natural dust source regions over the Middle-East and North-Africa: Estimation of dust emission potential, Earth-Science Reviews, Vol. 165, pp. 342-355, (2017).
- Beegum, S. N., H. Ben-Romdhane, M.T. Ali, P. Armstrong, and H. Ghedira, Optical and radiative properties of aerosols over Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, Journal of Earth System Science, Vol. 125, Issue 8, pp. 1579-1602, (2016).
- Ben-Romdhane, H., PR Marpu, TBMJ Ouarda, and H Ghedira, Corals & benthic habitat mapping using DubaiSat-2: a spectral-spatial approach applied to Dalma Island, UAE (Arabian Gulf). Remote Sensing Letters Vol. 7, pp 781–789 (2016)
- Al Kaabi, MR, J Zhao, H Ghedira, MODIS-Based Mapping of Secchi Disk Depth Using a Qualitative Algorithm in the Shallow Arabian Gulf, Remote Sens. 8(5), 423; doi:10.3390/rs8050423 (2016)
- Mezhoud, N., M. Temimi, J. Zhao, MR Al Shehhi, and H. Ghedira, Analysis of the spatio-temporal variability of seawater quality in the southeastern Arabian Gulf. Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 106, pp. 127–138 (2016)
- Beegum S.N., I. Gherboudj, N. Chaouch, F. Couvidat, L. Menut, and H. Ghedira, Simulating aerosols over Arabian Peninsula with CHIMERE: Sensitivity to soil, surface parameters and anthropogenic emission inventories. Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 128, pp 185-197 (2016)
- Al Azhar, M., M Temimi, J Zhao and H. Ghedira, Modeling of circulation in the Arabian Gulf and the Sea of Oman: Skill assessment and seasonal thermohaline structure, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 121 (3), pp. 1700-1720 (2016)
- Gherboudj, I., Ghedira H., Assessment of solar energy potential over the United Arab Emirates using remote sensing and weather forecast data, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 55, pp 1210-1224 (2016)
- Korany, M., M. Boraiy, Y. Eissa, Y. Aoun, M. M. Abdel Wahab, S. C. Alfaro, P. Blanc, M. El-Metwally, H. Ghedira, K. Hungershoefer, and L. Wald. A database of multi-year (2004–2010) quality-assured surface solar hourly irradiation measurements for the Egyptian territory. Earth System Science Data 8 (1), pp. 105-113 (2016)
- Lazzarini, M., A. Molini, P. R. Marpu, T. B. M. J. Ouarda, and H. Ghedira, Urban climate modifications in hot desert cities: The role of land cover, local climate, and seasonality. Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, doi:10.1002/2015 GL066534 (2015)
- Zhao, J., Temimi, M., Ghedira, Characterization of harmful algal blooms (HABs) in the Arabian Gulf and the Sea of Oman using MERIS fluorescence data. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Vol. 101, pp 125-136 (2015)
- Zhao, J., M Temimi, M Al Azhar, H Ghedira. Satellite-Based Tracking of Oil Pollution in the Arabian Gulf and the Sea of Oman. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 41 (2), 113-125 (2015)
- Gherboudj, I., S. N. Beegum, B. Marticorena, and H. Ghedira (2015), Dust emission parameterization scheme over the MENA region: Sensitivity analysis to soil moisture and soil texture, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 120, doi:10.1002/2015 JD023338 (2015)
- Eissa, Y., Blanc, P., Wald, L., and Ghedira, H., Can AERONET data be used to accurately model the monochromatic beam and circumsolar irradiances under cloud-free conditions in desert environment?, Atmos. Meas. Tech. Discuss., Vol. 8, pp 7697-7735 (2015)
- Eissa, Y., Munawwar, S., Oumbe, A., Blanc, P., Ghedira, H., Wald, L., Bru, H., Goffe, D., Validating surface downwelling solar irradiances estimated by the McClear model under cloud-free skies in the United Arab Emirates, Solar Energy, Vol. 114, pp 17-31 (2015)
- Eissa, Y., Korany, M., Aoun, Y., Boraiy, M., Wahab, M., Alfaro, S., Blanc, P., El-Metwally, M., Ghedira, G., Hungershoefer, K., Wald, L., Validation of the Surface Downwelling Solar Irradiance Estimates of the HelioClim-3 Database in Egypt, Remote Sensing, Vol. 7, pp 9269-9291 (2015)
- Ouarda, T., Charron, C., Shin, J., Marpu, P., Al-Mandoos, A., Al-Tamimi, M., Ghedira, H., Al Hosary, T., Probability distributions of wind speed in the UAE, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.93, pp 414-434 (2015)
- Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., Spatiotemporal assessment of dust loading over the United Arab Emirates, Int. J. Climatol, Vol.34, Issue 12, pp 3321–3335 (2014)
- Lazzarini, M., Marpu, P., Eissa, Y., Ghedira, H., Toward a Near Real-Time Product of Air Temperature Maps from Satellite Data and In Situ Measurements in Arid Environments, Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol.7, Issue 7, pp.3093-3104 (2014)
- Alobaidi, M., Marpu, P., Ouarda,T., Ghedira, H., Mapping of the Solar Irradiance in the UAE Using Advanced Artificial Neural Network Ensemble, Selected Topics in applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol.7, Issue 8, pp.3668-3680 (2014)
- Lazzarini, M., Ghedira, H., Assimilation of Earth Observation Variables and In Situ Measurements in a Surface Energy Balance Model: A Case Study of a Desert City Area, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 11, issue 1, pp 366 – 370 (2014)
- Al Shehhi, M.R., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., An overview of historical harmful algae blooms outbreaks in the Arabian Seas. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Volume 86, Issues 1–2, pp. 314–324 (2014)
- Zhao, J., Temimi, M., Ghedira H., Hu, C. Exploring the potential of optical remote sensing for oil spill detection in shallow coastal waters-a case study in the Arabian Gulf. Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 11, pp. 13755-13772 (2014)
- Zhao, J. and H. Ghedira, Monitoring red tide with satellite imagery and numerical models: A case study in the Arabian Gulf. Marine pollution bulletin. Volume 79, Issue 1, pp. 305–313 (2014)
- Ouarda, T., C. Charron, K. Kumar, P. Marpu, H. Ghedira, A. Molini, and I. Khayal, Evolution of the rainfall regime in the United Arab Emirates, Journal of Hydrology 514, 258-270 (2014)
- Parajuli, S., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira H., The effect of soil moisture and wind speed on aerosol optical thickness retrieval in a desert environment using SEVIRI thermal channels, International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 34, Issue 14, pp 5054-5071, (2013).
- Eissa, Y., Marpu, P., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., Ouarda, T., and Chiesa, M., Artificial neural network based model for retrieval of the direct normal, diffuse horizontal and global horizontal irradiances using SEVIRI images, Solar Energy, vol. 89, pp 1–16, (2013).
- Lazzarini, M., Marpu, P., and Ghedira, H., Temperature-land cover interactions: the inversion of Urban Heat Island phenomenon in desert city areas, Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 130, pp 136-152, (2013).
- Eissa, Y., Chiesa, M., Ghedira, H., Assessment and recalibration of the Heliosat-2 method in global horizontal irradiance modeling over the desert environment of the UAE, Solar Energy, vol. 86, pp 1816-1825, (2012)