Prof. Maaike Christine Kroon
Bu Hasa Building, Room 2-203
Office: +971 2 607 5317
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Maaike Kroon (1980) obtained her MSc Chemical Engineering (including honor’s track program) from TU Delft, Netherlands (2004). She received many awards for her MSc research, e.g. the Unilever research prize and the prize for best graduate student from TU Delft. In 2006, Maaike Kroon defended her PhD thesis ‘Combined reactions and separations using ionic liquids and carbon dioxide’ in Delft with honors. For her PhD research she was awarded the DSM Science & Technology Award and the environmental chemistry/technology award of the Royal Dutch Chemical Association.
Thereafter, Maaike Kroon worked as visiting Assistant Professor at MATGAS research center in Barcelona, Spain (2007) and at Stanford University, USA (2008-2010). She was also affiliated with the section Process & Energy at TU Delft. In March 2011 she was appointed Full Professor at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), where she started a brand new laboratory and research group in the field of Separation Technology. In 2015 she was awarded the New Scientist Talent of the year award.
Maaike Kroon joined Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi as a Professor in January 2016. ‘She teaches the courses ‘Physical Chemistry’, ‘Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics’ and ‘Separation Processes’.
Her research focuses on the development of novel energy-efficient affinity separation processes on basis of phase behavior (desalination, olefin/paraffin separation, gas sweetening, azeotrope breaking, paper production and carbon fixation).
Maaike Kroon is member of the Young Academy of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences and Arts (since 2012) and Associate Editor of the Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data (since 2015).
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (2004-2006)
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (2002-2004)
- B.S. Chemical & Bioprocess Technology, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (1999-2002)
- Physical chemistry
- Chemical engineering thermodynamics
- Separation Processes
- Applied thermodynamics and phase behavior (experiments and modeling)
- Separation technology (extraction, absorption, adsorption)
- Process design (gas separations, aliphatic-aromatic separation, desalination)
- Green solvents (ionic liquids, deep eutectic solvents, supercritical fluids)
- R. D. Alli, M. C. Kroon, Extraction of benzothiazole and thiophene from their mixtures with n-heptane using tetrahexylammonium bromide-based deep eutectic solvents as extractive denitrogenation and desulfurization agents, Fluid Phase Equilib. 2018, accepted (DOI: 10.1016/j.fluid.2018.07.023).
- S. E. E. Warrag, E. O. Fetisov, D. J. G. P. van Osch, D. B. Harwood, M. C. Kroon, J. I. Siepmann, C. J. Peters, Mercury capture from petroleum using deep eutectic solvents, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2018, 57, 9222-9230.
- R. D Alli, I. M. AlNashef, M. C. Kroon, Removal of 2- and 3-methylthiophene from their mixtures with n-heptane using tetrahexylammonium bromide-based deep eutectic solvents as extractive desulfurization agents, J. Chem. Thermodyn. 2018, 125, 172-179.
- L. F. Zubeir, M. H. M. Lacroix, J. Meuldijk, M. C. Kroon, A. A. Kiss, Novel pressure and temperature swing processes for CO2 capture using low viscosity ionic liquids, Sep. Purif. Technol. 2018, 204, 314-327.
- S. E. E. Warrag, C. Pototzki, N. R. Rodriguez, M. van Sint Annaland, M. C. Kroon, C. Held, G. Sadowski, C. J. Peters, Oil Desulfurization Using Deep Eutectic Solvents as Sustainable and Economical Extractants via Liquid-Liquid Extraction: Experimental and PC-SAFT Predictions, Fluid Phase Equilib. 2018, 467, 33-44.
- C. H. J. T. Dietz, M. C. Kroon, M. Di Stefano, M. van Sint Annaland, F. Gallucci, Selective separation of furfural and hydroxymethylfurfural from an aqueous solution using a supported hydrophobic deep eutectic solvent liquid membrane, Faraday Discuss. 2018, 206, 77-92.
- S. E. E Warrag, I. Adeyemi, N. R. Rodriguez, I. M. Nashef, M. van Sint Annaland, M. C. Kroon, C. J. Peters, Effect of the Type of Ammonium Salt on the Extractive Desulfurization of Fuels using Deep Eutectic Solvents, J. Chem. Eng. Data 2018, 63, 1088-1095.
- A. van den Bruinhorst, T. Spyriouni, J.-R. Hill, M. C. Kroon, Experimental and Molecular Modeling Evaluation of the Physicochemical Properties of Proline-Based Deep Eutectic Solvents, J. Phys. Chem. B 2018, 122, 369-379.
- R. Danon, M. C. Kroon, F. Banat, Mutual solubilities of cyclohexane and water in aqueous methyldiethanolamine (MDEA)/cyclohexane liquid- liquid equilibria, J. Chem. Eng. Data 2018, 63, 1123-1131.
- L. F. Zubeir, D. J. G. P. van Osch, M. A. A. Rocha, F. Banat, M. C. Kroon, Carbon Dioxide Solubilities in Decanoic Acid-based Hydrophobic Deep Eutectic Solvents, J. Chem. Eng. Data 2018, 63, 913-919.