Prof. Hassan Arafat
Professor – Water and Environmental Engineering
Prof. Arafat is a Professor of the Chemical Engineering department at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi, UAE, where he leads the Membrane and Sustainable Desalination Research group. His current research expertise is in membrane-based desalination, with particular focus on third-generation desalination processes such as membrane distillation (MD). Working on MD, he patented two process improvements and developed several novel membranes for enhanced productivity and reduced fouling. He initiated a new research trend on sustainable desalination, in which he looks at integrating multiple multidisciplinary tools to enhance the prospects of deploying desalination and reducing the economic and environmental impacts thereof, with the aim of achieving national water and food security. The essence of this trend is captured in his book: Desalination Sustainability: A Technical, Socioeconomic and Environmental Approach. Prof. Arafat received his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from the Univ. of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA) in 2000 and a BSc in Chem. Eng. From the Univ. of Jordan. From 2000 to 2003, he worked at Argonne National Laboratory (Illinois, USA) as a postdoc then as a research scientist, developing processes for nuclear waste treatment at the USA Department of Energy (DOE) sites. Between 2003 and 2010, Prof. Arafat was an assistant then associate professor of the Chem. Eng. Dept. at An-Najah University (West Bank). Between 2009 and 2012, he also served as an adjunct associate professor of the Biological Eng. Dept. at Utah State Univ. (Utah, USA) and in 2010, he spent six months as a visiting scholar at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA). He is a recipient of research fellowships by the Open Society Foundation (USA) and DAAD (Germany). Through his career thus far, he supervised 29 PhD and MSc students and postdoctoral fellows and received 22 research grants, exceeding $11M in funding. The outcome of his research has appeared in 106 book chapters and peer-reviewed journal papers, 113 conference papers and 48 keynote and invited talks worldwide. Among other honors, Prof. Arafat received the Khalifa Award for Education, presented by the President of UAE, the Mohammad Bin Rashid Medal for Scientific Excellence, presented by the Prime Minister of UAE, the United States Department of Energy Secretarial Honor Award, the Mondialogo Engineering Award by Daimler AG and UNESCO, and the Univ. of Cincinnati Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship.
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA (2000)
- B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan (1996).
- Membrane Technology
- Sustainable desalination processes
- Membrane development for water and wastewater applications
- Solid waste management
- H. Arafat, Desalination Sustainability: A Technical, Socioeconomic and Environmental Approach, Elsevier (2017), ISBN: 9780128097915
- N. Sreedhar, N. Thomas, O. Al-Ketan, R. Rowshan, H. Hernandez, R. Abu Al-Rub, H. A. Arafat, Mass transfer analysis of ultrafiltration using spacers based on triply periodic minimal surfaces: Effects of spacer design, directionality and voidage, J. Membrane Science, 561, 89-98 (2018)
- D. Warsinger, S. Chakraborty, E. Tow, M. Plumlee, C. Bellona, S. Loutatidou, L. Karimi, A. Mikelonis, A. Achilli, A. Ghassemi, L. Padhye, S. Snyder, S. Curcio, C. Vecitis, H. A. Arafat, J. Lienhard, A review of polymeric membranes and processes for potable water reuse, Progress in Polymer Science J., 81, 209-237 (2018)
- N. Sreedhar, N. Thomas, O. Al-Ketan, R. Rowshan, H. Hernandez, R. Abu Al-Rub, H. A. Arafat, 3D printed feed spacers based on triply periodic minimal surfaces for flux enhancement and biofouling mitigation in RO and UF, Desalination, 425, 12-21 (2018)
- N. Thomas, M. Mavukkandy, S. Loutatidou, H. A. Arafat, Membrane distillation research & implementation: Lessons from the past five decades, Separation & Purification Technology, 189, 108-127 (2017).
- E. Farrell, M. I. Hassan, R. Tufa, A. Tuomiranta, A. Avci, A. Politano, E. Curcio, H. A. Arafat, Reverse Electrodialysis powered greenhouse concept for water- and energy-self-sufficient agriculture, Applied Energy, 87, 390-409 (2017).
- Politano, A. Pietro, G. Di Profio, V. Sanna, A. Cupolillo, S. Chakaraborthy, H. Arafat, E. Curcio, Photothermal membrane distillation for seawater desalination, Advanced Materials, 29(2), 1603504 (2017)
- E. Guillen-Burrieza, M. Mavukkandy, M. Bilad, H. A. Arafat, Understanding wetting phenomena in Membrane Distillation and how operational parameters can affect it, J. Membrane Science, 515, 163-174 (2016)
- S. Pirani, H. A. Arafat, Interplay of food security, agriculture and tourism within GCC countries, Global Food Security J., 9, 1-9 (2016)
- S. Loutatidou and H. A. Arafat, Techno-economic analysis of MED and RO desalination powered by low-enthalpy geothermal energy, Desalination, 365, 277-292 (2015)