Prof. Fawzi Banat
Dr. Fawzi Banat
Interim Department Chair & Professor
Buhasa Building, Room 2207
Office: +971 2 607 5099
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Prof. Fawzi Banat is the interim Chair of Chemical Engineering Department at Khalifa University. He gained his PhD in Chemical Engineering from McGill University, Canada in 1995 following his research work on desalination and water treatment by membrane distillation.
Prior to joining the Petroleum Institute in 2011, he held academic posts at Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST), University of Bahrain, and German-Jordanian University (GJU). During his career, he held several administrative positions; Chair of Chemical Engineering (JUST), Dean of Research (JUST), Dean of Graduate Studies (GJU), and acting Dean of the School of Natural Resources Engineering & Management (GJU). He is an Adjunct Professor at the Vellore Institute of Technology, India.
Banat’s research interests include membrane technologies for water treatment and desalination, electromagnetic separation of salts, liquid-liquid equilibria, azeotropes separation, gas treatment and amine foaming. He established the water management lab, flow assurance lab and foaming lab at the ADRIC research center. He has also held EU research grants in desalination among other research funds. Prof. Banat has been granted two US patents and published numerous journal articles and conference papers. He has received several awards in recognition of his research including Khalifa Award of Education/Distinguished University Professor in the Field of Scientific Research, Scopus recognition, the Prize of the Jordan Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research for Exceptional researchers/ Engineering and the Shoman Prize for Young Arab Researchers/Engineering.
Prof. Banat taught a wide variety of courses, which include mass transfer, advanced mass transfer, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, transport phenomena, thermodynamics, water and wastewater treatment, air pollution, reaction engineering, and process dynamics and control.
Prof. Banat is a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE). He has been active on many university committees and external boards. Furthermore, he was involved in scientific committees of many international conferences.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada (1991–1995)
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan (1988–1990)
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan (1983–1988)
- Transport Phenomena
- Water and wastewater Treatment
- Air Pollution
- Multicomponent Mass Transfer
- Membrane Separations
- Water & Wastewater Treatment
- Transport Phenomena
- Gas foaming
- R. Danon, M. Kroon, F. Banat, Mutual solubilities of cyclohexane and water in aqueous methyldiethanolamine/cyclohexane liquid−liquid equilibria, J. Chem. Eng. Data 63, 1123−1131, (2018).
- G. Bharath, S. Anwer, R. Mangalaraja, E. Alhseinat, F. Banat, N. Ponpandian, Sunlight-induced photochemical synthesis of Au nanodots on α-Fe2O3@Reduced graphene oxide nanocomposite and their enhanced heterogeneous catalytic properties, Scientific Reports 8, 5718 (2018).
- Corpuz, P. Pal, F. Banat, M. Abu Haija, Enhanced removal of mixed metal ions from aqueous solutions using flotation by colloidal gas aphrons stabilized with sodium alginate, Separation and Purification Technology, 202, 103-110 (2018).
- Edathil, P. Pal, F. Banat, Alginate clay hybrid composite adsorbents for the reclamation of industrial lean methyldiethanolamine solutions, Applied Clay Science, 156, 213-223 (2018).
- Edathil, I. Shittu, J. Zain, F. Banat, M. Abu Haija, Novel magnetic coffee waste nanocomposite as effective bioadsorbent for Pb (II) removal from aqueous solutions, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 6, 2390-2400 (2018).
- N. Hamdan, M. Abu Haija, F. Banat, Heterogeneous Catalytic Degradation of Phenol by a Fenton-Type Reaction Using Copper Ferrites (CuFe2O4), Desalination and Water Treatment 69, 268-283 (2017).
- S. Munirasu, F. Banat, A. Durrani, M. Abu Haija, Intrinsically superhydrophobic PVDF membrane by phase inversion for membrane distillation, Desalination, 417, 77-86 (2017).
- M. Selvaraj, F. Banat, M. Abu-Haija Use of Membrane technology for oil field and refinery produced water treatment – A review, Process Safety and Environmental Protection Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 100, 183-202 (2016).
- F. Alnaimat, E.Alhseinat, F. Banat, V. Mittal Electromagnetic–mechanical:desalination: mathematical modelling, Desalination 380, 75-84, (2016).