Prof. Ali El Kamel
PIRC Building, Room G-110
Tel: +971 2 607 6232
Dr. Ali El Kamel is currently PAPRTEX Chair Professor in the Gas Research Center (GRC – outcome of an R&D agreement by GASCO, ADNOC, Shell Abu Dhabi B.V., Total S.A., and Partex Gas Corporation) at Khalifa University and Professor of Chemical Engineering on sabbatical from the University of Waterloo. The goal of his research program is to develop theory and applications for process systems engineering. The applications are focused on planning and scheduling of process operations, energy production, pollution monitoring and control, waste minimization, molecular design, and product formulation. He supervised more than 75 graduate students who worked on projects in the above fields.
Dr. El Kamel teaches graduate and undergraduate courses on optimization techniques, mathematical methods for chemical engineers, applied statistics, numerical methods, systems engineering, process design, and engineering economy. He taught also various short courses to industry including optimization and cost awareness, quantitative decision making, professional development for engineers, computer-aided problem solving, refinery economics and planning, and practical process engineering.
Dr. El Kamel holds more than 400 publications in refereed journals, international proceedings, and conference presentations. The journal publications include at least one in each of the following journals: Computers and Chemical Engineering, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Journal of Membrane Science, Energy, Energy and Fuels, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, Applied Energy, AIChE J., Advances in Environmental Research, Engineering Optimization, and Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA
- B.S. Mathematics, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA
- Process systems engineering.
- Numerical methods.
- Data analysis/analytics
- Energy and Environmental Engineering Systems
- Process simulation, optimization and modelling
- Process planning and scheduling
- Techno-economic and environmental analyses
- Computer-Aided Product Formulation and Design
Articles in Refereed Journals
- A Elsholkami and A Elkamel, “General optimization model for the energy planning of industries including renewable energy: A case study on oil sands”, AIChE Journal, Volume 63, Issue 2, Pages 610–638, 2017.
- N Rotich, R Tuunila, A Elkamel, M Louhi‐Kultanen, “Dynamic population balance and flow models for granular solids in a linear vibrating screen”, AIChE Journal , Volume 62, Issue 11, Pages 3889–3898, 2016.
- Mukherjee, S. Walker, M. Fowler, and A. Elkamel, “Power-to-gas in a demand-response market”, International Journal of Environmental Studies, Volume 73, Issue 3:Natural Gas and Energy Storage, page 390-401, doi:10.1080/00207233.2016.1165479, 2016.
- A Alarifi, Z Liu, FS Erenay, A Elkamel, and E Croiset, “Dynamic Optimization of Lurgi Type Methanol Reactor Using Hybrid GA-GPS Algorithm: The Optimal Shell Temperature Trajectory and Carbon Dioxide Utilization”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 55 (5), 1164-1173, 2016.
- C Alie, A Elkamel, PL Douglas, and E Croiset, “Reduced-order modelling of flexible CCS and assessment using short-term resource scheduling approach”, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 48, 253-274, 2016.
- MH Ordouei, M Elsholkami, A Elkamel, and E Croiset, “New composite sustainability indices for the assessment of a chemical process in the conceptual design stage: case study on hydrogenation plant”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 124, 132-141, 2016.
- F Sayedin, A Maroufmashat, S Sattari, A Elkamel, and M Fowler, “Optimization of Photovoltaic Electrolyzer Hybrid systems taking into account the effect of climate conditions”, Energy Conversion and Management, 118, 438-449, 2016.
- M Elsholkami, A ElkameC, and F Vargas, “Optimized integration of renewable energy technologies into Alberta’s oil sands industry”, Computers & Chemical Engineering, 90, 1-22, 2016.
- A Ahmadian, M Sedghi, M Aliakbar-Golkar, M Fowler, and A Elkamel, “Two-layer optimization methodology for wind distributed generation planning considering plug-in electric vehicles uncertainty: A flexible active-reactive power approach”, Energy Conversion and Management, 124, 231-246, 2016.
- DD Peng, M Fowler, A Elkamel, A Almansoori, and SB Walker, “Enabling utility-scale electrical energy storage by a power-to-gas energy hub and underground storage of hydrogen and natural gas”, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 35, 1180-1199, 2016.
- S. Abureden, A. Almansoori, A. Elkamel, and A. Betancourt, Chapter 23, pages 679 – 692, “Solar Energy Integration in the Upstream Oil Supply Chain”, in ASTM Publication MNL73 Exploration and Production of Petroleum and Natural Gas, ASTM-Books, Editor: M.R. Riazi, ASTM Books, 2016.
- M. Elsholkami and A. ElkameC, Chapter 2, pages 21 – 53, “Prospective Outlook on World Oil and Gas Reserves and Long-Range Planning Systems”, in ASTM Publication MNL73 Exploration and Production of Petroleum and Natural Gas, ASTM-Books, Editor: M.R. Riazi, ASTM Books, 2016.
- J. Obaid, S. Obaid-ur Rehman, and A. Elkamel, Chapter 19, pages 529 – 569, “Environmental and Safety Issues and Solutions Related to Oil and Gas Production”, in ASTM Publication MNL73 Exploration and Production of Petroleum and Natural Gas, ASTM-Books, Editor: M.R. Riazi, ASTM Books, 2016.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- A. Abdulrazik, M. Elkamel, and A. Elkamel, “Analysis of Economic, Environmental and Societal Benefits 0f The Use 0f Biomass as Manufacturing Feedstocks”, Proceedings of the ICPESS 2016-ISTANBUL, pages 35 – 42, 24-26 August, 2016.
- M. Elsholkami, A. McKenzie, R. Paink, K. White, A. Elkamel, and M. Fowler, “Design optimization of an electrolytic hydrogen for the Sarnia-Lambton upgrader”, Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Detroit, Michigan, USA, September 23-25, 2016. (Awarded Best Track Paper for the 2016 IEOM Detroit Conference).
- A. Al-Subaie, A. Maroufmashat, S. Walker, M. Fowler, and A. Elkamel, (2016, August).
“Decarbonizing transportation through the use of power-to-gas for oil refining operations”, Proceedings of IEEE Smart Energy Grid Engineering (SEGE), pages 231-235, 2016.
- U. Mukherjee, S. Walker, A. Maroufmashat, M. Fowler, and A. Elkamel, “Power-to-gas to meet transportation demand while providing ancillary services to the electrical grid”, Proceedings of the IEEE Smart Energy Grid Engineering (SEGE), Pages 221-225, 2016.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- T. Poddar, A. Jagannath, and A. Almansoori, “Techno-economic analysis of biodiesel production using reactive distillation,” presented at 1st UAE Graduate Students Research Conference, Abu Dhabi, 2015.
- Betancourt-Torcat and A. Almansoori, “Overview of future energy systems using mathematical modeling approaches,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- Pitsas and A. Almansoori, “Design and optimization of combined heat and power plant with CO2 capture,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- D. Georgis, F. V. Lima, A. Almansoori, and P. Daoutidis, “Modeling and control of water gas shift membrane reactors for hydrogen production and carbon capture,” presented at the Process Systems Engineering (PSE) Advanced Process Modeling Forum, New York City, New York, U.S., 2013.
- Kantor, A. Betancourt-Torcat, A. Almansoori, A. Elkamel, and M. Fowler, “Mixed-integer optimization of material and energy integrations in an eco-industrial park” presented at the Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science (AMMCS), Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2013.