Dr. Shadi W. Hasan
Email: – email@example.com
Dr. Shadi W. Hasan holds BSc, MASc, and PhD in Chemical, Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, respectively. Dr. Hasan’s field of expertise includes water purification, wastewater treatment and reuse, water desalination, and nanotechnology. Dr. Hasan has worked on several projects in water desalination using forward osmosis, reverse osmosis, and membrane distillation technologies in Abu Dhabi; particularly on process design and scale up, and modeling and simulation. He was also the principal investigator, in collaboration with MIT, on the design of hybrid wastewater treatment system. Dr. Hasan has also established research collaboration with well-known international universities and institutes such as MIT, Harvard and Yale (USA), Manchester, Oxford, Brunel London, and Bradford (UK), Concordia (Canada), UTS (Australia), Korea (Korea) and Salerno (Italy), among others. Throughout his academic career, Dr. Hasan has been recognized as an excellent designer (first to design the novel submerged membrane electro-bioreactor for municipal wastewater treatment at a pilot scale – Montreal, Canada) and has obtained a number of prestigious awards including the FQRNT. Dr. Hasan has authored and co-authored over 85 articles in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings; and generated significant research interest abroad in the USA and overseas. Dr. Hasan’s research has significant impacts and led to several funding opportunities both internally and externally. Dr. Hasan is an active reviewer for more than 30 scientific journals, and has supervised more than 25 MSc and PhD students, and research fellows. The “Water Purification Lab” established by Dr. Hasan at KU is well-equipped and has several analytical instruments for water quality analysis, and membrane fouling monitoring and characterization.
- Dr. Shadi W. Hasan holds BSc, MASc, and PhD in Chemical, Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, respectively.
- Water desalination
- Water treatment and membrane processes
- Membrane technology
- Wastewater treatment: Engineering and reuse
- Chemistry and separation science
- Advanced membranes and water desalination technologies
- Membrane synthesis and characterization
- Wastewater treatment and reuse
- Environmental and water applications of nanotechnology
- A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan. Nucleophilic-functionalized β-cyclodextrin-polyethersulfone structures from facile lamination process as nanoporous membrane active layers for wastewater post-treatment: Molecular implications, Journal of Membrane Science. 563 (2018), 914–925.
- S. Mansour, A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan. Novel graphene nanoplatelets-coated polyethylene membrane for the treatment of reject brine by pilot-scale direct contact membrane distillation: An optimization study, Desalination. 441 (2018), 9–20.
- A. Giwa, S.M. Jung, M.A. Ahmed, W. Fang, J. Kong, S.W. Hasan, Selectivity of nanoporous inorganic membranes for residual contaminants in treated wastewater Effluent: The comparative effects of MnO2 and TiO2, Chemical Engineering and Technology. 41 (2018), 205–421.
- N.A. ElNaker, S.W. Hasan, M. Elektorowicz, A.F. Yousef, Assessment of microbial community structure and function in serially passaged wastewater electro-bioreactor sludge: An Approach to Enhance Sludge Settleability, Scientific Reports. 8 (2018).
- A. Giwa, S. Chakraborty, M.O. Mavukkandy, H.A. Arafat, S.W. Hasan, Nanoporous hollow fiber polyethersulfone membranes for the removal of residual contaminants from treated wastewater effluent: Functional and molecular implications, Separation and Purification Technology. 189 (2017), 20–31.
- M.A. Ahmed, S.W. Hasan, Fe and Zn removal from industrial wastewater using electrically-enhanced membrane bioreactor, Desalination and Water Treatment. 93 (2017), 9–21.
- E. Abdulkarem, I. Ahmed, M.R.M. Abu-Zahra, S.W. Hasan, Electrokinetic pretreatment of seawater to decrease the Ca2+, Mg2+, SO42- and bacteria contents in membrane desalination applications, Desalination. 403 (2017), 107–116.
- S.W. Hasan, I. Ahmed, A.A. Housani, A. Giwa, Molecular and ionic-scale chemical mechanisms behind the role of nitrocyl group in the electrochemical removal of heavy metals from sludge, Scientific Reports. 6 (2016), 31828.
- A. Giwa, I. Ahmed, S.W. Hasan, Enhanced sludge properties and distribution study of sludge components in electrically-enhanced membrane bioreactor, Journal of Environmental Management. 159 (2015) 78–85.
- M. Zeyoudi, E. Altenaiji, L.Y. Ozer, I. Ahmed, A.F. Yousef, S.W. Hasan, Impact of continuous and intermittent supply of electric field on the function and microbial community of wastewater treatment electro-bioreactors, Electrochimica Acta. 181 (2015) 271–279.