Dr. Saeed Alhassan
Habshan Building, Room 5309A
Sas Al Nakhl Campus
Dr. Saeed Alhassan is an Associate Professor in the department of Chemical Engineering and director of Gas Research Center (Petroleum Institute) at Khalifa University. He holds BE, MSc and PhD in chemical engineering from Vanderbilt University (2003), Colorado School of Mines (2006) and Case Western Reserve University (2011), respectively. His research expertise is on colloids, polymeric material and surface sciences with focus on developing application based on these domains in the areas of nanomaterials, enhanced oil recovery and sulfur based materials.
Dr. Saeed Alhassan’s research activities focus on colloids, polymers and surface sciences with emphasis on nanocomposites and processing of nanoparticles. . Dr. Saeed is the first recipient of the inaugural Sheikh Mohamed Bin Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence in 2017. Dr. Saeed is two times recipient of Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Achievement (2008, 2012) and the first-runner up for the Bayer Fellowship for excellence in graduate studies from the department of Macromolecular Science and Engineering at Case Western Reserve University (2011). Additionally, sulfur-related and other senior design projects that have been proposed and advised by Dr. Saeed; have won several awards at different competitions at Petroleum Institute and national levels including: “Petroleum Institute Ebtikar Competition”, “Creative Emirati Competition”, “Engineering Renewable Energy Student Competition” and “Think Science Competition”. Dr. Saeed has published 50+ journal articles, 2 book chapters, 10 provisional /patent applications, 11 invited lectures and 57+ conference papers.
- Ph.D. , Chemical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., 2011
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, U.S.A., 2006
- B.E., Chemical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A., 2003
- Heat Transfer
- Reaction Engineering
- Principles of Chemical engineering
- Sulfur based materials
- Colloids and surface sciences
- Nanoparticles synthesis, processing and application
- Enhanced oil recovery
- Dabbawala, A. A.; Alhassan, S. M.; Mishra, D. K.; Jegal, J.; Hwang, J.-S., Solvent free cyclodehydration of sorbitol to isosorbide over mesoporous sulfated titania with enhanced catalytic performance. Molecular Catalysis 2018,454, 77-86.
- Dabbawala, A. A.; Tzitzios, V.; Sunny, K.; Polychronopoulou, K.; Basina, G.; Ismail, I.; Pillai, V.; Tharalekshmy, A.; Stephen, S.; Alhassan, S. M., Synthesis of nanoporous zeolite-Y and zeolite-Y/GO nanocomposite using polyelectrolyte functionalized graphene oxide. Surface and Coatings Technology 2018,350, 369-375.
- Liu, L.; Wang, Y.; Alhassan, S.; Sun, H.; Choi, K.; Yu, C.; Schiraldi, D., Clay-Facilitated Aqueous Dispersion of Graphite and Poly(vinyl alcohol) Aerogels Filled with Binary Nanofillers. Gels 2018,4 (1), 8.
- Lonkar, S. P.; Pillai, V. V.; Alhassan, S. M., Three-Dimensional NiS-MoS2/Graphene HeterostructuredNanohybrids as High-Performance Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts. ACS Applied Nano Materials 2018.
- Mittal, H.; Kumar, V.; Alhassan, S. M.; Ray, S. S., Modification of gum ghatti via grafting with acrylamide and analysis of its flocculation, adsorption, and biodegradation properties. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2018,114, 283-294.
- Panopoulos, N.; Pissas, M.; Kim, H. J.; Kim, J.-G.; Yoo, S. J.; Hassan, J.; AlWahedi, Y.; Alhassan, S.; Fardis, M.; Boukos, N.; Papavassiliou, G., Polaron freezing and the quantum liquid-crystal phase in the ferromagnetic metallic La0.67Ca0.33MnO3. npj Quantum Materials 2018,3 (1), 20.
- Polychronopoulou, K.; Zedan, A. F.; AlKetbi, M.; Stephen, S.; Ather, M.; Katsiotis, M. S.; Arvanitidis, J.; Christofilos, D.; Isakovic, A. F.; AlHassan, S., Tailoring the efficiency of an active catalyst for CO abatement through oxidation reaction: The case study of samarium-doped ceria. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 2018,6 (1), 266-280.
- Potsi, G.; Ladavos, A. K.; Petrakis, D.; Douvalis, A. P.; Sanakis, Y.; Katsiotis, M. S.; Papavassiliou, G.; Alhassan, S.; Gournis, D.; Rudolf, P., Iron-substituted cubic silsesquioxane pillared clays: Synthesis, characterization and acid catalytic activity. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2018,510 (Supplement C), 395-406.
- ShankarayyaWadi, V. K.; Jena, K. K.; Khawaja, S. Z.; Yannakopoulou, K.; Fardis, M.; Mitrikas, G.; Karagianni, M.; Papavassiliou, G.; Alhassan, S. M., NMR and EPR Structural Analysis and Stability Study of Inverse Vulcanized Sulfur Copolymers. ACS Omega 2018,3 (3), 3330-3339.
- Whelan, J.; Katsiotis, M. S.; Stephen, S.; Luckachan, G. E.; Tharalekshmy, A.; Banu, N. D.; Idrobo, J.-C.; Pantelides, S. T.; Vladea, R. V.; Banu, I.; Alhassan, S. M., Cobalt-Molybdenum Single-Layered Nanocatalysts Decorated on Carbon Nanotubes and the Influence of Preparation Conditions on Their Hydrodesulfurization Catalytic Activity. Energ Fuel 2018,32 (7), 7820-7826.