Dr. Giovanni Palmisano
Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
Program: Chemical Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9246
E-mail address: email@example.com
Dr. Giovanni Palmisano earned his MSc in Chemical Engineering and his PhD in Chemical and Materials Engineering from the University of Palermo, Italy. Before joining Khalifa University (Masdar Campus), Dr. Palmisano’s research activities were mainly developed in Italy and Spain and concern photo-catalytic processes for organic chemistry, hydrogen production, water and air remediation, and self-cleaning coatings, with a special attention to materials characterization, kinetics, modelling of photo-reactors and radiant fluxes. From 2009 to 2012, he was administrator, chief engineer and safety manager at Hedera Engineering Srl – an Italian company operating in design and construction of photovoltaic plants in Italy. From 2008 to 2013 he has held free-lance consulting activity for private companies and Italian municipalities. Dr. Palmisano has co-authored ca. 95 highly cited papers in peer-reviewed international journals, and he has to his record seven patents, six books and six invited book chapters. He is regularly invited to offer lectures and serve as chair-person at international conferences and workshops. He is member of the editorial board of three international journals and he has guest-edited three special issues of international journals. He has been main advisor of 4 PhD students and advisor or coadvisor of 6 MSc students, one of whom won the best thesis award in Chemical Engineering and the outstanding thesis award in Masdar Institute.
- PhD in Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Palermo – Italy, 2009
- Laurea in Chemical Engineering (5 year degree, equivalent to BSc and MSc), University of Palermo – Italy, 2005
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Heterogeneous Catalysis
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Engineering Economics
- Preparation and characterization of materials based on semiconductors applied in powdered and supported forms, which own photo-catalytic and super-hydrophilic properties. Specific applications are:
- water and air purification;
- H2 production from H2S splitting, from photoreforming of biomass;
- functionalization of glass of solar panels, metal, ceramic, polymeric materials and concretes, aimed to make their surfaces self-cleaning and/or antireflective;
- photoreduction of CO2 to valuable organic species.
- Corrado Garlisi, Chia-Yun Lai, Leslie George, Matteo Chiesa, Giovanni Palmisano, Relating photoelectrochemistry and wettability of sputtered Cu- and N-doped TiO2 thin films via an integrated approach, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 122 (2018) 12369-12376 (DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b03650).
- Diego ToledanoGarcía, Lütfiye Yıldız Ozer, Francesco Parrino, Menatalla Ahmed, Grzegorz Przemyslaw Brudecki, Shadi Wajih Hasan, Giovanni Palmisano, Photocatalytic ozonation under visible light for the remediation of water effluents and its integration with an electro-membrane bioreactor, Chemosphere, 209 (2018) 534-541 (DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.05.197).
- MejdAlsari, OierBikondoa, James Bishop, Lütfiye Yıldız Ozer, Mark Hampton, Mojtaba Abdi-Jalebi, Paul Thompson, Maximilian Hoerantner, Suhas Mahesh, Claire Greenland, John Emyr Macdonald, Giovanni Palmisano, Henry James Snaith, David G. Lidzey, Richard Henry Friend, SamueleLilliu, In-situ simultaneous photovoltaic and structural evolution of perovskite solar cells during film formation, Energy and Environmental Science, 11 (2018) 383-393 (DOI: 10.1039/C7EE03013D).
- OluwadamilolaPikuda, Corrado Garlisi, Gabriele Scandura, Giovanni Palmisano, Micro-mesoporous N-doped brookite-rutile TiO2 as efficient catalysts for water remediation under UV-free visible LED radiation, Journal of Catalysis, 346 (2017) 109-116 (DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2016.12.010).
- Javier Soria, JesúsSanz, Maria José Torralvo, Isabel Sobrados, Corrado Garlisi, Giovanni Palmisano, SıdıkaÇetinkaya, SedatYurdakal, Vincenzo Augugliaro, The effect of the surface disordered layer on the photoreactivity of titania nanoparticles, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 210 (2017) 306-319 (DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.03.045).
- Corrado Garlisi, Gabriele Scandura, Jakub Szlachetko, Sareh Ahmadi, Jacinto Sa, Giovanni Palmisano, E-beam evaporated TiO2 and Cu-TiO2 on glass: performance in the discoloration of methylene blue and 2-propanol oxidation, Applied Catalysis A: General, 526 (2016) 191-199 (DOI: 10.1016/j.apcata.2016.08.022).
- Gabriele Scandura, Rosaria Ciriminna, Yi-Jun Xu, Mario Pagliaro, Giovanni Palmisano, Nanoflower-like Bi2WO6 encapsulated in ORMOSIL as a novel photocatalytic antifouling and foul-release coating, Chemistry: A European Journal, 22 (2016) 7063-7067 (DOI: 10.1002/chem.201600831).
- Giovanni Palmisano, Vittorio Loddo, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Marianna Bellardita, Giovanni Camera Roda, Francesco Parrino, Validation of a two-dimensional modeling of an externally irradiated slurry photoreactor, Chemical Engineering Journal, 262 (2015) 490-498 (DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2014.10.013).
- Francesco Parrino, Giovanni Camera-Roda, Vittorio Loddo, Giovanni Palmisano, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Combination of ozonation and photocatalysis for purification of aqueous effluents containing formic acid as probe pollutant and bromide ion, Water Research, 50 (2014) 189-199 (DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2013.12.001).
- SedatYurdakal, Giovanni Palmisano, Vittorio Loddo, Vincenzo Augugliaro, Leonardo Palmisano, Nanostructured rutile TiO2 for selective photocatalytic oxidation of aromatic alcohols to aldehydes in water, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130 (2008) 1568-1569 (DOI: 10.1021/ja709989e).
The complete list of publication and metrics available at Google Scholar profile: http://scholar.google.it/citations?user=f3tNf5AAAAAJ&hl=it&oi=ao