Dr. Ali Almansoori
Bu Hasa Building, Room 2200
Office: +971 2 607 5544
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Dr. Ali Almansoori is Professor of Chemical Engineering at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi. During his profession, Dr. Almansoori held several administrative positions including: the Coordinator of President’s Duties, Dean of Engineering, and Chair and Deputy Chair of the Chemical Engineering Department. He also was the Interim Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs during the merge between PI, Masdar Institute, and Khalifa University of Science, Technology, and Research.
His main research interest is in the area of Process Systems Engineering with the focus on energy systems design, simulation, modeling and optimization. He also conducts general research in the area of renewable energy and fuel cell technology with applications to the oil and gas industry.
Dr. Almansoori has published numerous articles in renowned refereed journals and conference proceedings. He also delivered several presentations in international conferences and is the author of a few book chapters. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer for reputable international journals in the area of energy and process systems.
Dr. Almansoori has received a number of educational and research awards, including PI 2014–2015 Research & Scholarship Award for Senior Faculty, two Best Track Paper Awards in IEOM’15 & GSR’15 Conferences, ADNOC 2013 R&D Science Lantern Faculty Award, PI 2012 Excellence in Academic Advising Award, and Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Outstanding Performance in 2008.
Dr. Almansoori was also a research fellow at the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) in Vienna, Austria during the summer of 2012. In addition to his experience in the education field, Dr. Almansoori holds an Executive MBA from London Business School, and has served as a manager in Education Policy and Performance Management at the General Secretariat of the Executive Council in Abu Dhabi.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Imperial College, London, UK (2002–2006)
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, US (1998–2002)
- Chemical Engineering Senior Design
- Engineering Economics
- Process Systems Engineering
- Optimization and Simulation
- Thermal Sciences
- Design, operation, and management of energy supply chain
- Process simulation, optimization and modelling
- Process planning and scheduling
- Techno-economic and environmental analyses
Articles in Refereed Journals
- A. Almansoori and A. Betancourt-Torcat, “Design optimization model for the integration of renewable and nuclear energy in the United Arab Emirates’ power system” Applied Energy, vol. 148, 2015.
- A. Jagannath and A. Almansoori, “Modeling of hydrogen networks in a refinery using a stochastic programming appraoch,”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 53, pp. 19715-19735, 2014.
- Y. Saif and A. Almansoori, “Design and operation of water desalination supply chain using mathematical modelling approach,”Desalination, vol. 351, pp. 184–201, 2014.
- A. Almansoori and Y. Saif, “Structural optimization of osmosis processes for water and power production in desalination applications,” Desalination, vol. 344, pp. 12-27, 2014.
- D. Clark, J. Tong, A. Morrissey, A. Almansoori, I. Reimanis, and R. O’Hayre, “Anomalous low-temperature proton conductivity enhancement in a novel protonic nanocomposite,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 11, 2014.
- R. Fatoni, L. Simon, A. Elkamel, and A. Almansoori, “Wheat straw fiber size effects on the mechanical properties of polypropylene composites ” The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2014.
- E. Hu, A. T. Derebe, A. Almansoori, and K. Wang, “Xylene separation on plate-like SAPO-5 zeolite molecular sieves,”International Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 10-14, 2014.
- O. Okur, E. Alper, and A. Almansoori, “Optimization of catalyst preparation conditions for direct sodium borohydride fuel cell using response surface methodology,” Energy, vol. 67, pp. 97–105, 2014.
- S. T. Taqvi, A. Almansoori, and G. Bassioni, “Modeling the impact of wettability alterations on calcium carbonate system for crude oil and asphaltenic solutions,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 53, pp. 4773–4777, 2014.
- A. Almansoori, “The influence of South Korean energy policy on OPEC oil exports,” Energy Policy, vol. 67, pp. 572–582, 2014.
- J. Fawaz, A. Almansoori, and K. Wang, “Energy gas storage in porous polymers,” in Polymers for Energy Storage and Conversion, Wiley-VCH, Editor: Vikas Mittal, 2013.
- R. Fatoni, A. Almansoori, A. Elkamel, and L. Simon, “Computer-aided product design of wheat straw polypropylene composites 237,” in Modeling and Prediction of Polymer Nanocomposite Properties, Wiley-VCH, Editor: Vikas Mittal, ISBN: 978-3-527-33150-5, 2013.
- W. Hu, A. Butt, A. Almansoori, S. Azarm, and A. Elkamel, “Robust multi-objective genetic algorithm (RMOGA) under interval uncertainty with online approximation,” in Multi-Objective Optimization: Developments and Prospects for Chemical Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Editor: Gade Pandu Rangaiah, 2012.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- A. Betancourt-Torcat and A. Almansoori, “Multi-period optimization model for the UAE power sector,” in The 7th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE 2015), Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2015.
- T. Poddar, A. Jagannath, and A. Almansoori, “Biodiesel production using reactive distillation: a comparative simulation study,” in The 7th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE 2015), Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2015.
- M. Elsholkami, A. Elkamel, A. Betancourt-Torcat, and A. Almansoori, “Energy optimization of the Canadian oil sands industry,” in 64th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Niagara Fall, Ontario, Canada, 2014.
- A. Betancourt-Torcat, A. Elkamel, and A. Almansoori, “Energy optimization of the Canadian oil sands industry,” in International Conference on Modelling, Optimization and Simulation (ICMOS 2014), Venice, Italy, 2014.
- A. Jagannath and A. Almansoori, “Multi scenario synthesis of hydrogen networks in a refinery,” in Energy System Modeling and Optimization Conference (ESMOC), Durgapur, India, 2013, pp. 1-7.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- T. Poddar, A. Jagannath, and A. Almansoori, “Techno-economic analysis of biodiesel production using reactive distillation,” presented at 1st UAE Graduate Students Research Conference, Abu Dhabi, 2015.
- Betancourt-Torcat and A. Almansoori, “Overview of future energy systems using mathematical modeling approaches,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- Pitsas and A. Almansoori, “Design and optimization of combined heat and power plant with CO2 capture,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- D. Georgis, F. V. Lima, A. Almansoori, and P. Daoutidis, “Modeling and control of water gas shift membrane reactors for hydrogen production and carbon capture,” presented at the Process Systems Engineering (PSE) Advanced Process Modeling Forum, New York City, New York, U.S., 2013.
- Kantor, A. Betancourt-Torcat, A. Almansoori, A. Elkamel, and M. Fowler, “Mixed-integer optimization of material and energy integrations in an eco-industrial park” presented at the Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science (AMMCS), Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2013.