Dr. Tim McGloughlin
Professor and Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (02) 4018040
Fax: +971 (02) 447 2442
Professor McGloughlin, following a period of 9 years in industry, has more than 25 years’ experience in Higher Education at the University of Limerick, Ireland. He has published more than 120 refereed journal and conference papers in biomedical engineering as well as 2 books and 7 book chapters and is a regular presenter at all the major annual biomedical engineering meetings.
He pioneered the undergraduate B.Eng (Biomedical Engineering) programme at the University of Limerick in 2002. In July 2012, he was appointed Head of the MABE Department which has an undergraduate population of more than 500 students and more than 70 Master’s and PhD students. He served as External Examiner at Imperial College, London from 2010-2013.
He was the Founding Director of the Centre for Applied Biomedical Engineering Research, a University Research Centre which has developed an international reputation in the field of vascular and cardiovascular fluid and solid mechanics and tissue engineering. Professor McGloughlin has supervised 17 PhD students to completion and has attracted in excess of €7m Euro in research funds. His international collaborators include the University of Pittsburgh, Georgia Institute of Technology, Duke University, Columbia University, Imperial College, London, and the University of Edinburgh. In 2010 he was conferred with the University of Limerick Research Excellence Award for his outstanding contribution to research at the University of Limerick.
He is a member of the Executive Committee of the ASME Bioengineering Division, a member of the World Council for Biomechanics (elected), BMES and ESB. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland (Bioengineering Section), a Fellow of Engineers Ireland and a member of the Irish Medical Devices Association (IMDA).
- PhD., Biomedical Engineering, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 1996
- M.Eng. Sc, National University of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, 1980
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, University College, Dublin, Ireland, 1973
- Tissue Engineering
- Medical Device Design
- Cardiovascular Solid and Fluid Mechanics
- Aneurysm Biomechanics
- Tissue Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Orthopedic biomechanics
- Florian Stefanov, Tim McGloughlin, Liam Morris. A computational assessment of the hemodynamic effects of crossed and non-crossed bifurcated stent-graft devices for the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms. p1458–1473 Medical Engineering and Physic Dec 2016 Vol 38 Issue 12
- O’Connor Mooney R, Davis NF, Hoey D, Hogan L, McGloughlin TM, Walsh MT. On the Automatic Decellularisation of Porcine Aortae: A Repeatability Study Using a Non-Enzymatic Approach. Cells Tissues Organs. 2016;201(4):299-318. doi: 10.1159/000445107. Epub 2016 Apr 30.
- Coakley DN, Shaikh FM, O’Sullivan K, Kavanagh EG, Grace PA, McGloughlin TM. Design and evaluation of a novel subatmospheric pressure bioreactor for the preconditioning of tissue-engineered vascular constructs. Int J Artif Organs. 2016 Mar 21;39(2):77-83. doi: 10.5301/ijao.5000475. Epub 2016 Mar 7.
- Coakley DN, Shaikh FM, O’Sullivan K, Kavanagh EG, Grace PA, Walsh SR, McGloughlin TM. Comparing the endothelialisation of extracellular matrix bioscaffolds with coated synthetic vascular graft materials. Int J Surg. 2016 Jan;25:31-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.11.008.Epub 2015 Nov 12.
- Coakley, D.N.Shaikh, F.M.O’Sullivan, K.,Kavanagh, E.G., Grace, P.A. McGloughlin, T.M. In vitro evaluation of acellular porcine urinary bladder extracellular matrix – A potential scaffold in tissue engineered skin, Wound Medicine Volume 10-11, December 01, 2015, Pages 9-16
- Mooney Rory O’Connor, Piterina Anna V., Davis Niall Francis, McGloughlin Timothy M., and Walsh Michael T Automatic Decellularization of Ovine Aorta-Derived Extracellular Matrix Offers Reduced Processing and Attendee Times While Being as Effective as Manual Techniques Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods. Tissue Engineering Part C-Methods Volume: 21 Issue: 5 Pages: 480-488 Published: 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/ten.tec.2014.0415
- Siobhan A.O’Leary, JohnJ.Mulvihill, HilaryE.Barrett, Eamon G. Kavanagh, MichaelT.Walsh, TimM.McGloughlin, BarryJ.Doyle Determining the influence of calcification on the failure properties of abdominal aortic aneurysm(AAA) tissue JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS Vol 42 Jan 2015 pp 154-167 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2014.11.005
- Siobhan A.O’Leary, Eamon G. Kavanagh, Donagh A.Healy, MichaelT.Walsh, TimM.McGloughlin, BarryJ.Doyle The Biaxial Biomechanical Behavior of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Tissue Annals of Biomedical Engineering Vol. 42, No. 12, December 2014 pp 2240-2250. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10439-014-1106-5
- Callanan, A.; Davis, N. F.; McGloughlin, T. M.; Walsh, M. T. The effects of stent interaction on porcine urinary bladder matrix employed as stent-graft materials JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS Vol 47 June 11 2014 pp 1885 -1893 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2014.02.037
- A.Callanan,N.F. Davis, T. M. McGloughlin and M. T. Walsh Development of a rotational cell-seeding system for tubularized extracellular matrix (ECM) scaffolds in vascular surgery Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied BiomaterialsVolume102,Issue4,pages 781–788, May 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.33059
- O’Leary, Siobhan A.; Kavanagh, Eamon G.; Grace, Pierce A.; McGloughlin, Tim M.; Doyle, Barry J. The biaxial mechanical behaviour of abdominal aortic aneurysm intraluminal thrombus: Classification of morphology and the determination of layer and region specific properties JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS Vol 47 APR 11 2014 pp 1430 -1437 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2014.01.041
- LG Morris , F. Stefanov , Tim McGloughlin Stent graft performance in the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms:The influence of compliance and geometry J Biomechanics 46 (2013) 383–39 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2012.11.026
- Davis NF, A Callanan, BB. McGuire, H D. Flood, and T M. McGloughlin* Evaluation of Viability and Proliferative Activity of Human Urothelial Cells Cultured Onto Xenogenic Tissue-Engineered Extracellular Matrices Urology April 2011 Vol 77 Issue 4 pp 1007.e1-e7 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2010.11.036
- Tierney A., A Callanan TM McGloughlin* In Vivo Feasibility Case Study for evaluating Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms tissue properties and Rupture Potential using Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Imaging Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials Volume 4, Issue 3, April 2011, Pages 507-51 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2010.12.017
- McGloughlin TM* and Barry J. Doyle New approaches to abdominal aortic aneurysm assessment – engineering insights with clinical gain ARTERIOSCLEROSIS THROMBOSIS AND VASCULAR BIOLOGY 2010;30:1687-1694 (COVER) Published online May 27th 2010 http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.204529
- N. F. Davis, B. B. McGuire, A. Callanan, H. D. Flood and T. M. McGloughlin* Xenogenic Extracellular Matrices as Potential Biomaterials for Interposition Grafting in Urological Surgery The Journal of Urology (Available online Oct 2010 Vol 184 (6) pp. 2246-2253 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2010.07.038
- Doyle, B J., A. Callanan, P. E. Burke, P. A. Grace, M.T. Walsh, D.A. Vorp, T.M. McGloughlin*, Vessel Asymmetry as an Additional Rupture Prediction Tool of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Journal of Vascular Surgery Feb 2009 No 43 pp 443-454. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2008.08.064
- Morris L, P.Delassus, M.Walsh, T.McGloughlin, A mathematical model to predict the in vivo pulsatile drag forces acting on bifurcated stent grafts used in endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA). Journal of Biomechanics 37 (7): 1087-1095 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2003.11.014
- McGloughlin, TM* (Ed) Biomechanics and Mechanobiology of Aneurysms Springer ISBN: 978-3-642-18094-1 (2011) http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783642180941
- Doyle, B.J., D.S. Molony, M.T. Walsh and McGloughlin, T. M,* Imaging Of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms: New Approaches To Management And Treatment, Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA, Published May 2010 ISBN: 978-1-61668-312-2 https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12901