Dr. Sanjeev Rao
Dr. Sanjeev Rao, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering/ARIC
Address: P.O. Box: 127788
Sanjeev Rao is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of Aerospace Engineering, and is associated with Aerospace Research and Innovation Centre at Khalifa University. He is a senior design project coordinator at the department and provides Materials & Processing consultancy at Strata PJSC, Al Ain. He was also an adjunct faculty at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland, New Zealand. He received his Ph.D. and M.E in Mechanical Engineering, specializing in Structures and CFD, respectively from the University of Auckland. Before joining Khalifa University, he was a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Advanced Composite Materials, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Sanjeev’s primary research field of interest is in the modeling and experimental testing of advanced composite structures, and manufacturing automation. His other research interests include design and manufacture of fixed wing and vertical takeoff unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for civilian applications, multifunctional lightweight materials, statistical methods to reduce process variability in production environment, application of game theory in a production environment, application of additive manufacturing in production environment and several other new product development projects. He is jointly working with Strata PJSC, Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC) and Team Emirates cycling in developing capabilities to manufacture lightweight high performance carbon bicycles in-house. He has one monograph from his PhD research work and over 50 publications in archival journals, book chapters, conference proceedings and technical reports. He has served as principle/co-principal investigator of more than 20 projects sponsored by various industry and government agencies, domestically and internationally. Apart from research, Dr. Rao has special interest in commercialization of R&D projects that have reached higher TRL levels.
Dr. Sanjeev Rao is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and American Chemical Society (ACS). He received KU Research Staff Excellence Award in 2016 and been recognized at Strata for his research work on A 330/350/380 parts.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland (New Zealand), 2009
- M.E., Mechanical Engineering, University of Auckland (New Zealand), 2003
- B.E., Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, Bangalore University (India), 2000
- Engineering Mechanics
- Materials Science
- Mechanics of Materials
- Composite Materials
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- Design and manufacture of UAVs
- Advanced composite materials
- Manufacturing automation
- Microfibrillar and nanocomposite materials
- Unmanned Ariel Vehicles
- Additive manufacturing
- Multifunctional lightweight materials
- Rao, S., R. Umer, K. Polychronopoulou, R. Das. Reduced Graphene Oxide: Effect of Reduction on Electrical Conductivity. J. Compos. Sci. 2018, 2(2), 25.
- M.Y.M. Zuhri, S. Rao and W.J. Cantwell. The Mechanical Properties of Corrugated Core Structures Based on Flax Fibre Reinforced Composites. Current Analytical Chemistry 2018 (Accepted).
- H. Alhussein, R. Umer, S. Rao, E. Swery, S. Bickerton, W. J. Cantwell. Characterization of 3D woven reinforcements for liquid composite molding processes. Journal of Materials Science. March 2016, Volume 51(6), pp 3277-3288.
- R. Umer, S. Rao, J. Zhou, Z. Guan and W.J. Cantwell. Low Velocity Impact Response of Graphene Modified Composites Manufactured using Automated Dry Fiber Placement. Polymers & Polymer Composites. 2016, Volume 24(4), pp 233-240.
- S Rao, R Umer, J Thomas and W J Cantwell. Investigation of peel resistance during the fibre placement process. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2016, Vol. 35(4), pp 275–286.
- S. Rao, Umer. R, Cantwell WJ. An evaluation of the compression response of high-performance prepregs for AFP applications. Polymers & Polymer Composites. 2015, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p389-398.
- Rao, S., K. Jayaraman. Investigation of damage tolerance and fire resistance of nano particles dispersed composites. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. (In preparation)
- G. Petrone, S. Rao, S. De Rosa, B.R. Mace, F. Franco, D. Bhattacharyya. Initial experimental investigations on natural fibre reinforced honeycomb core panels. Composites Part B 55 (2013) 400–406
- G. Petrone, S. Rao, S. De Rosa, B.R. Mace, F. Franco, D. Bhattacharyya. Behaviour of fibre-reinforced honeycomb core under low velocity impact loading. Composite Structures 100 (2013) 356–362.
- Rao, S., R. Das, D. Bhattacharyya. Investigation of bond strength and energy absorption capabilities in recyclable sandwich panels. Composites: Part A 45 (2013) 6–13.
- Rao, S., K. Jayaraman, D. Bhattacharyya. Micro and macro analysis of sisal fibre composites hollow core sandwich panels. Composites: Part B 43 (2012) 2738–2745.