Dr. Ki sun Park
Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering
Address: Abu Dhabi, UAE, P.O. Box: 127788
Telephone: +971 (0)2 501 8561
Fax: +971 (0)2 447 2442
Before joining Aerospace engineering in Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KUSTAR), Dr. Ki sun Park served as a senior propulsion research and development engineer at Hanwha Techwin (formerly was Samsung Techwin) in South Korea from 2013 to 2017 and performed design and analysis of a Kerosene-LOX fueled rocket, a turbofan gas turbine engine, and an auxiliary power unit (APU) for military aircraft. He holds Masters and Ph.D degrees in aerospace engineering and he received both degrees from Purdue University (IN, USA) in 2008 and 2012. He also completed postgraduate work at Purdue University in 2013. His research interests focus on high-fidelity numerical prediction on the physics of thermo-fluids mechanics and combustion kinetics including atomization of propellants, multiphase transport, and ignition and flame propagation in advanced propulsion systems such as liquid and hybrid rocket motors and air-breathing jet engines varying from subsonic to hypersonic regimes. He also maintains a focus on the acceleration of numerical schemes for computational fluid dynamics by developing parallelization algorithm in multi-core and multi-GPGPU systems and machine learning scheme bringing leading-edge performance to computational fluid dynamics.
- Ph. D, School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, U.S.A, 2012
- M.S., School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, U.S.A, 2008
- B.S., School of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, 2005
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Particulate flow
- Propulsion system
- Multiphase flow
- Combustion kinetics
- Parallel processing
- Machine learning – GPGPU
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., Modeling Particle Collision Processes in High Reynolds Number Flow, Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 66, 2013, pp. 123-138.
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., Numerical Simulation of Particle Breakup/Coalescence Processes in Shock Waves, 49th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, AIAA 2013-4084, San Jose, CA, July 15-17, 2013.
- Park, K. S., Sardeshmukh, S., Heister, S. D., and Sankaran, V., Numerical Simulation of Combustion of Unlike Impinging Jets Near a Wall, 49th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, AIAA 2013-4156, San Jose, CA, July 15-17, 2013.
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., Agglomeration/Breakup Studies on Radial Slot Flows in Solid Rocket Motor, 48th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, AIAA 2012-3886, Atlanta, GA, July 30-August 01, 2012.
- Park, K. S., Xia, G., and Heister, S. D., Modeling Two-Phase Flow with Stochastic Coalescence/Breakage Model, 46th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, AIAA 2010-6578, Nashville, TN, July 25-28, 2010.
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., On the Parallelization of Unsteady BEM Problems with Variable Mesh Size, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, Vol. 34, No. 3, 2010, pp. 289-296.
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., Nonlinear Modeling of Drop Size Distribution Produced by Pressure-Swirl Atomizer, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 36, No. 1, 2010, pp. 1-12.
- Park, K. S., and Heister, S. D., Modeling Dense Sprays Using Boundary Elements Method, 22nd Institute for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems-European Conference, ILASS08-A066, Como Lake, Italy, Sep. 8-10, 2008.