Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Earth Sciences
Telephone: +971 (0)2 607 5747
Dr. Andrea Ceriani is currently the Interim Chair of the Earth Science Department at Khalifa University of Science and Technology.
He previously served as Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies at the Petroleum Institute.
Dr. Ceriani received his Master of Science and PhD degrees from the University of Pavia (Italy) where was appointed as Assistant Professor in 2005.
Dr. Ceriani experience is in petrology and diagenesis of carbonate and siliciclastic reservoirs, application of fluid inclusions technique to reconstruct evolution and migration of fluids and as thermal constraints in sedimentary basins study, and carbonate reservoir characterization.
Dr. Ceriani acts as scientific advisor and consultant in industry-funded research projects.
Dr. Ceriani has published numerous articles in renowned refereed journals and conference proceedings. He also delivered several presentations in international conferences and is the co-author of a few book chapters. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer for reputable international journals and Governmental Institutions in the area of geosciences.
Dr. Ceriani received educational and research awards, including ADNOC R&D Science Lantern Faculty Award and R&D OSC Reward in 2014. He has been in the list of nominees for the Dean of the College of Engineering Teaching Award and the Provost’s Advising Award in 2017.
- PhD (Geology), University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
- MSc (Geology), University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
- PGEG 210 – Earth Material
- PGEG 220 – Geology of the Middle East
- PGEG 311 – Sedimentary Petrology
- STPS251: Strategies for Team-based Engineering Problem Solving II
- Diagenesis of carbonates and siliciclastics
- Sedimentology of carbonates and siliciclastics
- Provenance of modern sands and ancient arenites
- Petroleum and aqueous fluid inclusions
- Evolution and migration of fluids in sedimentary basins
- D. Morad, M. Paganoni, A. AL Harthi, S. Morad, A. Ceriani*, H. Mansurbeg, A. AL Suwaidi, I. S. AL-Aasm & S. N. Eherenberg, “Origin and evolution of microporosity in packstones and grainstones in a Lower Cretaceous carbonate reservoir, United Arab Emirates”. In: Armitage, P. J., Butcher, A. R., Churchill, J. M., Csoma, A. E., Hollis, C., Lander, R. H., Omma, J. E. & Worden, R. H. (eds), Reservoir Quality of Clastic and Carbonate Rocks: Analysis, Modelling and Prediction. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, SP435. Published online December 21st 2016. https://doi.org/10.1144/SP435.20
- H. Mansurbeg, D. Morad, R. Othman, S. Morad, A. Ceriani*, I. Al-Aasm, K. Kolo, P. Spirov, J.N. Proust, A. Preat and H. Koyi, “Hydrothermal dolomitization of the Bekhme formation (Upper Cretaceous), Zagros Basin, Kurdistan Region of Iraq: Record of oil migration and degradation,” Sedimentary Geology, vol. 341, pp. 147-162, 2016.
- M. Sirat, I.S. Al-Aasm, S. Morad, A. Aldahan, O. Al-Jallad, A. Ceriani*, D. Morad, H. Mansurbeg and A. Al-Suwaidi, “Saddle dolomite and calcite cements as records of fluid flow during basin evolution: Paleogene carbonates, United Arab Emirates,” Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 74, pp. 71-91, 2016.
- M. Paganoni, A. Al Harthi, D. Morad, S. Morad, A. Ceriani*, H. Mansurbeg, A. Al Suwaidi, I.S. Al-Aasm, S.N. Ehrenberg and M. Sirat, “Impact of stylolitization on diagenesis of a Lower Cretaceous carbonate reservoir from a giant oilfield, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates,” Sedimentary Geology, vol. 335, pp. 70-92, 2016.
- M. Maino, L. Casini, A. Ceriani*, A. Decarlis, A. Di Giulio, S. Seno, M. Setti and F.M. Stuart, “Dating shallow thrusts with zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronometry-The shear heating connection,” Geology, vol. 43, pp. 495-498, 2015.
- Y. Demir, I. Uysal, M.B. Sadiklar, A. Ceriani*, N. Hanilçi and D. Müller, “Mineralogy, mineral chemistry, fluid inclusion, and stable isotope investigations of the Kabadüz ore veins, Ordu, NE-Turkey”, Ore Geology Reviews, vol. 66, pp. 82-98, 2015.
- S. Fontana, F. Nader, S. Morad, A. Ceriani*, I.S. Al-Aasm, J.M. Daniel and J.M. Mengus, “Fluid-rock interactions associated with regional tectonics and basin evolution,” Sedimentology, vol. 61, pp. 660-690, 2014.
- F.H. Nader, E. De Boever, M. Liberati, C. Dumont, M. Gasparrini, A. Ceriani*, S. Morad, O. Lerat and B. Doligez, “Quantification of Diagenesis Impacts on the Reservoir Properties of the Jurassic Arab D and C Members (Offshore, U.A.E.),” Geofluids, vol. 13, pp. 204-220, 2013.
- S. Morad, I.S. Al-Aasm, F.H. Nader, A. Ceriani* and M. Gasparrini, “Impact of diagenesis on the spatial and temporal distribution of reservoir quality in the Jurassic Arab C and D members, offshore Abu Dhabi oilfield, United Arab Emirates,” GeoArabia, vol. 17, pp. 17-54, 2013.
- P. Ronchi, F. Jadoul, A. Ceriani*, A. Di Giulio, P. Scotti, A. Ortenzi and R. Fantoni, “Multistage Dolomitization in an Early Jurassic Platform (Southern Alps, Italy): insights for the distribution of massive dolomitized bodies,” Sedimentology, vol. 58, pp. 532-565, 2011.
- A. Ceriani*, R. Calabrò, A. Di Giulio and R. Buonaguro, “Diagenetic and Thermal History of the Jurassic-Tertiary Succession of the Zagros Mountains in the Dezful Embayment (SW Iran): Constraints from Flu id Inclusions,” Int. J Earth Sci (Geol Rundsch), vol. 100, pp. 1265-1281, 2011.