Dr. Robert Bennell
Chair (Interim), Associate Professor, Department of Applied Mathematics and Sciences
Address: P.O. Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Prior to joining Khalifa University in 2012, Dr. Bennell served as Professor of Mathematics at Zayed University (UAE), Professor of Mathematics at the Virginia Military Institute (USA), and Lecturer in Mathematics, Statistics & Operational Research at Cranfield University (UK).
Dr Bennell’s research focuses on the application of cubic splines and orthogonal polynomials as the basis functions for approximation methods and algorithms for solving practical data fitting problems.
Dr Bennell was the recipient of the VMI Distinguished Teaching Award at the Virginia Military Institute in 2001 and the Dean’s Teaching Award (College of Arts & Sciences) at Zayed University in 2009. He received the Wilbur S. Hinman Jr. ’26 Research Award at the Virginia Military Institute for advising and development of undergraduate research projects in 2003 and 2005.
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Cranfield University (UK), 1996
- M.Sc., Mathematics – Numerical Analysis, Brunel University (UK), 1984
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Mathematics & Computer Sciences, Brunel University (UK), 1982
- Calculus I – IV Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Advanced Mathematics for Scientists & Engineers, Probability & Statistics I – II, Operational Research
- Numerical Analysis, Numerical Methods for ODE’s & PDE’s
- Approximation Theory & Computational Methods
- Algorithms for practical approximation of curves and surfaces
- Regularised cubic B-spline approximation for processing laser Doppler anemometry data, in Experimental and Numerical Methods for solving ill-posed Inverse Problems: Medical and Non-medical Applications, Randall L. Barbour, Mark J. Carvlin & Michael A. Fiddy (Eds.), Proceedings SPIE 2570, pp 242-253, (1995).
- Efficient multivariate approximation methods for lines and curves of data, J.C. Mason & R.P. Bennell, Computer Aided Surface Geometry & Design, Proceedings of the Fourth IMA Conference on the Mathematics of Surfaces, pp 33-50, (1993).
- Bivariate orthogonal polynomial approximation to curves of data, R.P. Bennell & J.C. Mason, in Orthogonal Polynomials & their Applications, C. Brezinski, L. Gori & A. Ronveaux (Eds.), IMACS Annals on Computing & Applied Mathematics, Vol. 9, Nos. 1-4, pp 177-183, (1991).
- Continuous approximation methods for the regularisation and smoothing of integral transforms, R.P. Bennell & J.C. Mason, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp 51-66, (1989).
- An application of orthogonal polynomials to the regularisation and smoothing of integral transforms, R.P. Bennell & J.C. Mason, in Lecture Notes in Pure & Applied Mathematics, Vol. 117, Orthogonal Polynomials and their Applications, Marcel Dekker Inc., pp 109-122 (1989).