Address: P. O. Box 127788, Abu Dhabi
Telephone: +971 – (0)2-6075384
Dr. Burkett is a lecturer in the Preparatory Program at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi. Prior to Khalifa University, he taught at the Petroleum Institute and Zayed University as well as several universities in Istanbul, Turkey, where he lived for over a decade.
He completed his EdD at the University of Exeter in 2018. His other interests include traveling, reading, swimming, cooking and eating spicy food, and spending time with his family.
- 2012 – present – Doctorate of Education in TESOL, Exeter University (Viva completed, graduation July, 2018)
- 2012, Feb – IATEFL TEASIG Training Course, Using the CEFR in Classroom Assessment
- 2009 CERT – ICT – Certificate in Teaching Languages with Technology, Consultants-E, certified by Trinity College, London
- 2006-7 ICELT Course (Cambridge University) – one of the main course tutors
- 2000 Cambridge RSA DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults), ITI Training Center – Istanbul Turkey
- 1999 Teacher Trainer course, British Council, Istanbul, Turkey
- 1997 Master of Arts in English Education, University of Connecticut, U.S.A.
- 1992 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drama, University of Connecticut. Focus: Directing
- Teaching interests include Assessment in Language Learning, Educational Technology, Vocabulary Acquisition, Sociocultural Gaps in the Language Classroom, Teaching Research Skills and Corpus Linguistics.
- The use of vocabulary lists in foundation programs in the UAE (thesis)
- Language assessment
- The use of English in the UAE
- Burkett, T. (2015, December). An investigation into the Use of Frequency Vocabulary Lists in University Intensive English Programs. The International Journal of Bilingual & Multilingual Teachers of English, pp.71-83. https://journal.journals.uob.edu.bh/Article/ArticleFile/2342
- Burkett, T. (2016, February). Emirati Students’ Cultural Norms and University Teachers’ Awareness: A Socio-Cultural Gap? Perspectives: TESOL Arabia, pp. 5-11.