- PhD in Astrophysics (2009-2012): Radboud University Nijmegen, the Netherlands
- BARC Training school in Physics (2001-2002): Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India
- Master in Physics (1998-2000): M. S. University of Baroda, Gujarat, India
- Bachelor in Science (1994-1998): Modern College, Imphal, Manipur, India
- Introduction to Astronomy for Bachelors
- Advanced course in Astrophysics and Astroparticle physics
- Development of Astronomy lab
- Astrophysics and Astroparticle Physics
- Cosmic-ray measurements with the LOFAR radio telescope in the Netherlands
- Gamma-ray astronomy with the proposed ALTO observatory in the Southern Hemisphere
- Theoretical study on cosmic rays, high-energy gamma rays and astrophysical neutrinos.
A LOFAR Observation of Ionospheric Scintillation from Two Simultaneous Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances
Fallows, R. A. et al., 2020, Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate, 10, 10
– Calibration of the LOFAR low-band antennas using the Galaxy and a model of the signal chain
Mulrey, K. et al., 2019, Astroparticle Physics, 111, 1
– Science with the Cherenkov Telescope Array Cherenkov Telescope Array
CTA Consortium, 2019, World Scientific Publishing, ISBN #9789813270091
– LOFAR lightning imaging: Mapping lightning with nanosecond precision
Hare, B. M. et al., 2018, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 2861
-Shock location and CME 3D reconstruction of a solar type II radio burst with LOFAR
Zucca, P. et al., 2018, Astronomy & Astrophysics; 615, A89
– Low-Frequency Radio Absorption in Cassiopeia A
Arias, M. et al., 2018, Astronomy & Astrophysics; 612, A110
– Tracking of an electron beam through the solar corona with LOFAR
Mann, G. et al., 2018, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 611, A57
– Thunderstorm electric fields probed by extensive air showers through their polarized radio emission
Trinh, T. N. G. et al., 2017, Physical Review D, 95, 083004
– The effect of the atmospheric refractive index on the radio signal of extensive air showers
Corstanje, A. et al., 2017, Astroparticle Physics, 89, 23
– Prospects for Cherenkov Telescope Array Observations of the Young Supernova Remnant RX J1713.7-3946
Acero, F. et al., 2017, Astrophysical Journal, 840, 74
– The association of a J-burst with a solar jet
Morosan, D. E. et al., 2017, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 606, A81
– Cosmic-ray energy spectrum and composition up to the ankle – the case for a second Galactic component
Thoudam, S. et al., 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 595, A33
– Measurement of cosmic-ray energy spectrum above 1016 eV with the LOFAR Radboud Air Shower Array
Thoudam, S. et al., 2016, Astroparticle Physics, 73, 34
– Measurement of the circular polarisation in radio emission from extensive air showers confirms emission mechanisms
Scholten, O. et al., 2016, Physical Review D, 94, 103010
– Simulation studies for MACE – I: Trigger rates and energy thresholds
Borwankar, C. et al., 2016, Astroparticle Physics, 84, 97
– A large light-mass component of cosmic rays at 1017-1017.5 electronvolts from radio observations
Buitink, S. et al., 2016, Nature, 531, 70
– Timing calibration and spectral cleaning of LOFAR time series data
Corstanje, A. et al., 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 590, A41
– Influence of atmospheric electric fields on the radio emission from extensive air showers
Trinh, T. N. G. et al., 2016, Physical Review D, 93, 023003
– LOFAR imaging of Cygnus A – direct detection of a turnover in the hotspot radio spectra
McKean, J. P. et al., 2016, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 463,3143
– LBCS: The LOFAR Long-Baseline Calibrator Survey
Jackson, N. et al., 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 595, A86
– LOFAR MSSS: detection of a low-frequency radio transient in 400 h of monitoring of the North Celestial
Stewart, A. J. et al., 2016, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 456,2321
– Imaging Jupiter’s radiation belts down to 127 MHz with LOFAR
Girard, J. N. et al., 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 587, A3
– Wide-band, low-frequency pulse profiles of 100 radio pulsars with LOFAR
Pilia, M. et al., 2016, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 586, A92
– Calibrating the absolute amplitude scale for air showers measured at LOFAR
Nelles, A. et al., 2015, Journal of Instrumentation, 10, P11005
– Probing atmospheric electric fields in thunderstorms through radio emission from CR induced air showers
Schellart, P. et al., 2015, Physical Review Letters, 114, 16
– The radio emission pattern of air showers as measured with LOFAR- a tool for the reconstruction of the energy and the shower maximum
Nelles, A. et al., 2015, Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 05, 018
– Measuring a Cherenkov ring in the radio emission from air showers at 110-190 MHz with LOFAR
Nelles, A. et al., 2015, Astroparticle Physics, 65, 11
– The shape of radio wavefront of extensive air showers as measured with LOFAR
Corstanje, A. et al., 2015, Astroparticle Physics, 61, 22
– Wide-field LOFAR imaging of the field around the double-double radio galaxy B1834+620. A fresh view on a restarted AGN and doubeltjes
Orru, E. et al., 2015, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 584, A112
– The LOFAR Multifrequency Snapshot Sky Survey (MSSS). I. Survey description and first results
Heald, G. H. et al., 2015, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 582, A123
– LOFAR discovery of a quiet emission mode in PSR B0823+26
Sobey, C. et al, 2015, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 451, 2493
– Lunar occultation of the diffuse radio sky: LOFAR measurements between 35 and 80 MHz
Vedantham, H. K. et al., 2015, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 450, 2291
-The peculiar radio galaxy 4C 35.06: a case for recurrent AGN activity?
Shulevski, A. et al, 2015, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 579, A27
-The LOFAR long baseline snapshot calibrator survey
Moldón, J. et al., 2015, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 574, A73
– GeV-TeV cosmic-ray spectral anomaly as due to re-acceleration by weak shocks in the Galaxy
Thoudam, S. & Hörandel, J. R., 2014, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 567, A33
– LORA: A scintillator array for LOFAR to measure extensive air showers
Thoudam, S. et al., 2014, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, 767, 339
– Method for high precision reconstruction of air showers Xmax using two-dimensional radio intensity profiles
Buitink, S. et al., 2014, Physical Review D, 90, 08200
– Polarized radio emission from extensive air showers measured with LOFAR
Schellart, P. et al., 2014, Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 10, 014
– LOFAR Sparse Image Reconstruction
Garsden, H. et al., 2014, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 575, A90
– LOFAR Pilot Surveys for Pulsars and fast Radio Transients
Conen, T. et al., 2014, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 570, A60
– LOFAR tied-array imaging of Type III solar radio bursts
Morosan, D. E. et al., 2014, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 568, A67
– Initial LOFAR observations of epoch of reionization windows. II. Diffuse polarized emission in the ELAIS N1 field
Jelić, V. et al., 2014, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 568, A101
– LOFAR Low-band Antenna Observations of the 3C 295 and Boötes Fields: Source Counts and Ultra-steep Spectrum Sources
van Weeren, R. J. et al., 2014, Astrophysical Journal, 793, 82
– Discovery of carbon radio recombination lines in absorption towards Cygnus A
Oonk, J. B. R. et al., 2014, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 437, 3506
-Fermi bubble gamma-rays as a result of diffusive injection of Galactic cosmic-rays
Thoudam, S., 2013, Astrophysical Journal Letters, 778, L20
– Detecting cosmic rays with the LOFAR radio telescope
Schellart, P. et al., 2013, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 560, A98
– Revisting the hardening of cosmic-ray energy spectrum at TeV energies
Thoudam, S. & Hörandel, J. R., 2013, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 435, 2532
– LOFAR: The LOw-Frequency ARray
van Harleem, M. P. et al., 2013, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 556, A2
-Nearby supernova remnants and the cosmic-ray spectral hardening at high energies
Thoudam, S. & Hörandel, J. R., 2012, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 421, 1209
– On the point-source approximation of nearby cosmic-ray sources
Thoudam, S. & Hörandel, J. R., 2012, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 419, 624
– A possible correlation between high-energy electron spectrum and cosmic-ray secondary-to-primary ratios
Thoudam, S. & Hörandel, J. R., 2011, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 414, 1432
– An air shower array for LOFAR: LORA
Thoudam, S. et al. 2011, Astrophysics and Space Sciences Transactions, 7, 195
– Cosmic-ray and neutrino measurements with LOFAR
Horneffer, A. et al., 2010, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, 617, 482
– Search for TeV gamma-rays from H1426+428 during 2004-2007 with the TACTIC telescope
Yadav, K. K. et al., 2009, Journal of Physics G, 36, 085201
– On the contribution of nearby sources to the observed cosmic-ray nuclei
Thoudam, S., 2008, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 388, 335
– Very high energy gamma-ray observations of Mrk501 using the TACTIC imaging gamma-ray telescope during 2005-06
Godambe, S. et al., 2008, Journal of Physics G, 35, 065202
– The TACTIC atmospheric Cherenkov Imaging telescope
Koul, R. et al. 2007, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, 578, 548
– Revisiting the effect of nearby supernova remnants on local Cosmic-rays
Thoudam, S., 2007, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society Letters, 380, L1
– Effect of nearby supernova remnants on local Cosmic-rays
Thoudam, S., 2007, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 378, 48
– Very High Energy gamma-ray and Near Infrared observations of 1ES2344+514 during 2004-05
Godambe, S. et al., 2007, Journal of Physics G, 34, 1683
– Observations of TeV gamma-rays from Mrk421 during Dec. 2005 to May 2006 with TACTIC telescope
Yadav, K. K., et al., 2007, Astroparticle Physics, 27, 447
– Cosmic-ray proton spectrum below 100 TeV in the local region
Thoudam, S., 2006, Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society, 370, 263
– High energy diffuse gamma-ray emission of the Galactic disk and Galactic Cosmic-ray spectra
Thoudam, S., 2006, Astroparticle Physics, 25, 328
– A generalized ray-tracing procedure for an atmospheric Cherenkov imaging telescope and optical characteristics of the TACTIC light collector
Tickoo, A. K. et al., 2005, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, 539, 177
Selected Presentations (since 2012)
2020: Invited talk at NSGRA-2020 symposium, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India.
2019: Invited seminar talk at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India.
2018: Invited seminar talk at Raman Research Institute, Bangalore, India.
2018: Invited seminar talk at Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden.
2017: Talk at Partikeldagarna 2017, Stockholm, Sweden.
2017: Invited talk at Astronomy Day, Linnaeus University, Växjö, Sweden.
2017: Talk at International Cosmic Ray Conference, Busan, South Korea.
2017: Talk at Swedish Astronomy Conference (Astronomdagarna), Kiruna, Sweden.
2016: Talk at Workshop on Southern Hemisphere TeV gamma-ray observatory, Puebla, Mexico.
2016: Invited popularization talk at Millennium Institute of Sciences, Manipur, India
2016: Invited seminar talk at Manipur University, India.
2015: Talk at International Cosmic Ray Conference, The Hague, Netherlands.
2015: Talk at LOFAR Community Science Workshop, Assen, Netherlands.
2015: Talk at Astroparticle Physics Symposium, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
2014: Talk at European Cosmic-Ray Symposium, Kiel, Germany.
2014: Talk at TeVPA/IDM conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
2014: Talk at Cosmic Ray Origin-beyond the standard models, Dolomites, Italy.
2014: Talk at Astroparticle Physics Symposium, Beekbergen, Netherlands
2013: Invited seminar talk at RWTH Aachen University, Germany.
2013: Talk at International Cosmic-Ray Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
2013: Talks at Roma International Conference on Astroparticle Physics, Rome, Italy.
2012: Invited talk at LOPES meeting, Germany.
2012: Invited seminar talk at Gauhati University, India.
2012: Talk at LOFAR workshop, Netherlands.
Dr. Satyendra Thoudam is an Astrophysicist with a long experience in theory and experiment related to cosmic rays and high-energy gamma rays. His primary research is directed towards understanding the origin and propagation of cosmic rays in the Universe. He has worked with different types of Astroparticle Physics experiments such as the TACTIC and MACE gamma-ray Cherenkov telescopes in India, the LORA air shower array and the LOFAR radio telescope in the Netherlands. Currently, he is mainly involved in the radio detection of cosmic rays with LOFAR and the development of the proposed ALTO particle detector array for gamma-ray astronomy in the Southern Hemisphere. Besides the experimental activities, he has also worked extensively in theoretical studies related to the propagation of cosmic rays and high-energy diffuse gamma-ray emission in the Galaxy, and studied various new problems in high-energy astrophysics revealed by new-generation experiments.