Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Department of Applied Mathematics and Sciences
+971 (0)2 501 8339
Dr. Oluwaseun Sharomi received his PhD in Mathematics from the University of Manitoba, Canada, in 2010. He joined the Numerical Simulation Laboratory at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, in December 2010 as a postdoctoral researcher and in 2011, he received a PIMS postdoctoral fellowship award at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, in the Department of Computer Sciences to work on designing an efficient algorithm for the numerical simulation of electrical activity in the heart.
Dr. Sharomi’s paper titled “Re-infection-induced backward bifurcation in the transmission dynamics of Chlamydia trachomatis” was published in the Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications and was listed among the Top 25 Hottest Articles for April-June, 2009.
Dr. Sharomi’s expertise includes design and analysis of mathematical models of infectious diseases, simulation of electrical activity in myocardial tissue, parallel computing, problem solving environment, numerical algorithms and software for exascale computer architectures.
Dr. Sharomi is an assistant professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Sciences at the Khalifa University of Science and Technology.
- Courses taught:
- MATH111 Calculus I
- MATH112 Calculus II
- MATH211 Differential Equations and Linear Algebra
- MATH214 Mathematical and Statistical Software
- MATH313 Applied Engineering Mathematics
- Teaching interests: dynamical systems; numerical mathematics; and mathematical biology.
- Research projects:
- “Implications of poverty on the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases” “Modeling co-infection of two infectious diseases”
- Research interests: mathematical modeling relating to epidemiology (HIV, chlamydia, tuberculosis, H1N1); high performance computing (parallel computing); problem solving environment (PSE); and heart simulation.
- Sharomi, O., Podder, C. N., Gumel, A. B., Elbasha, E. H. and J. Watmough (2007). Role of incidence function in vaccine-induced backward bifurcation in some HIV models. Mathematical Biosciences. 210(2): 436-463.
- Podder, C.N., Sharomi, O., Gumel, A. B. and S. Moses (2007). To cut or not to cut: a modeling approach for assessing the role of male circumcision on HIV control. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 69(8): 2447-2468.
- Sharomi, O. and A.B. Gumel (2008). Curtailing smoking dynamics: a mathematical modelling approach. Applied Mathematics and Computation. 195(2): 475-499.
- Sharomi, O. and A. B. Gumel (2008). Dynamical analysis of a multi-strain model of HIV in the presence of antiretroviral drugs. Journal of Biological Dynamics. 2(3): 323-345.
- Sharomi, O., Podder, C. N., Gumel, A. B. and B. Song (2008). Mathematical analysis of the transmission dynamics of HIV/TB co-infection in the presence of treatment. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 5(1): 145-174.
- Sharomi, O. and A. B. Gumel (2009). Re-infection-induced backward bifurcation in the transmission dynamics of Chlamydia trachomatis. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications. 356(1): 96-118. (This paper was listed among the Top25 Hottest Articles for April-June, 2009). http://top25.sciencedirect.php5.office.webpower.nl/subject/mathematics/16/journal/journalof-mathematical-analysis-and-applications/0022247X/archive/22/
- Sharomi, O. and A. B. Gumel (2010). Mathematical analysis of HIV treatment model with variable viral loads and infection stages. DIMACS: Series in Discrete athematics and Theoretical Computer Science. ISBN-10: 0-8218-4384-2.
- Sharomi, O., Podder, C. N., Gumel, A. B., Mahmud, S and E. Rubinstein (2011). Modelling the transmission dynamics and control of the novel 2009 swine inuenza (H1N1) pandemic. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 73(3): 515-548DOI: 10.1007/s11538-0109538-z.
- Sharomi, O. and A.B. Gumel (2011). Dynamical analysis of a sex-structured Chlamydia trachomatis transmission model with time delay. Nonlinear Anal.: Real World Appl. 12: 837-866.
- Sharomi, O. and A.B. Gumel (2011). Mathematical study of a risk-structured two-group model for Chlamydia transmission dynamics. Applied Mathematical Modelling. 35(8): 3653-3673.
- Podder, C.N., Sharomi, O., Gumel, A. B. and E. Strawbridge (2011). Mathematical analysis of a model for assessing the impact of antiretroviral therapy, voluntary testing and condom use in curtailling HIV. Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems. 19(4): 283-302.
- Sharomi, O. and A.B. Gumel (2012). Mathematical study of in-host dynamics of hlamydia trachomatis. IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics. 77(2): 109-139.
- Sharomi, O., and Raymond J. Spiteri (2012). Convergence order vs. parallelism in the numerical simulation of the bidomain equations. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/385/1/012009
- Samson, C., Butler, S., Fry, C., McCausland, P. J. A., Herd, R. K., Sharomi, O., Spiteri, R. J. and M. Ralchenko (2014). 3-D laser images of splash-form tektites and their use in aerodynamic numerical simulations of tektite formation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science. 49(5):740-749.
- Kroshko, A., Sharomi, O., Gumel, A. B. and R. J. Spiteri (2014). Design and Analysis of NSFD Methods for the Diffusion-Free Brusselator. Second Order Elliptic Equations and Elliptic Systems: Contemporary Mathematics 618:163-180.
- Sharomi, O. and T. Malik (2015). Optimal Control in Epidemiology. Annals of Operations Research, DOI 10.1007/s10479-015-1834-4.
- La Torre, D., Liuzzi, D., Malik, T., Sharomi, O. and R. Zaki (2015). A Spatially- Structured Environmental-Economic Model: Dynamics and Optimal Control. Electronic Journal of Differential Equations, 2015(277): 1-15.
- Sharomi, O., Safi, A. M., Gumel, A.B., and D.J., Gerberry (2017). Exogenous Reinfection Does Not Always Cause Backward Bifurcation in TB Transmission Dynamics. Applied Mathematics and Computation 298:322-335.
- Podder, C.N., Shahed, S.E., Sharomi, O., and S. K., Bhowmik (2017). Mathematical Study of In-host Dynamics of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 to Assess the Impact of Immune Response. Journal of Biological Systems 25(1): 47-70.
- Sharomi, O., and T., Malik (2017). A model to assess the effect of vaccine compliance on Human Papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer. Applied Mathematical Modelling. 47:528-550.
- Sharomi, O., La Torre, D. and T. Malik (2017). A Multiple Criteria Economic Growth Model with Environmental Quality and Logistic Population Behaviour with Variable Carrying Capacity. Information Systems and Operational Research. 0: 1-15.
- Alimada, A., Edwards, M., Feher, B., Gemmrich, S., Gumel, A.B., Langmore, I., Sharomi, O., Strawbridge, E., Steinberg, M. Taylor, A., Yurtseven, O., and Y. Zhang., Reports on The Impact of HIV Testing on the Spread of HIV Infection”. Report submitted to: British Columbia Center for Disease Control, Canada. Associated with the 10th PIMS Industrial Problem Solving Workshop, IRMACS Centre, Simon Fraser University, June 26-30, 2006.
- Arino, J., Baddour, N., Breward, C., Gumel, A.B., Jiang, X., Podder, C.N., Pourziaei, B., Sharomi, O., Vaidya, N., Williams, J.F. and Wu, J. Global Travel and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Proceedings of the First Fields-MITACS Industrial Problems Workshop. The Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Science Toronto, Ontario, August 20-24, 2006.