Dr. Jang-Shee Barry Lin
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971-(0)2-501 8491
Dr. Jang-Shee Barry Lin is an associate professor in finance. He earned his PhD in Finance from Baruch College, City University of New York, US, in 1995. Dr. Lin has taught widely in many finance areas. His research focuses on international finance, corporate finance, and corporate governance. He has published numerous articles in academic journals such as the Journal of Banking and Finance, Financial Management, Financial Analyst Journal, Financial Review, Journal of Financial Studies, Review of Financial Economics, Journal of Financial Education, Journal of Financial and Economic Practices, Global Business and Finance Review, and Multinational Business Review, among others. Dr. Lin has presented his research in numerous international and national academic conferences.
- Ph. D. in Finance, City University of New York, USA, 1995
- Master of Finance, City University of New York, USA, 1992
- BA in English, Tunghai University, Taiwan, 1982
- BUSS201 Fundamentals of Accounting and Finance
- BUSS301 Corporate Leadership and Human Resource Management
- ENGR311 Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Engineering Design
- finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, leadership and human resource management.
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Risk Management and Performance
Peer-reviewed journal articles:
- J. Barry Lin and Chunhui Liu (2017). R&D Intensity and Firm Valuation–Effect of Director and Manager Incentives, International Journal of Service and standard, forthcoming, 2017.
- J. Barry Lin, Bingsheng Yi, Chia-Wei Chen and Rani Anand (2017). Agency Cost and Court Action in Bankruptcy Proceedings in a Simple Real Option Model, Journal of Research in Business, Economics and Management, forthcoming, 2017.
- J. Barry Lin, Christos Pantzalis, Jung Chul Park (2017). Corporate derivatives use policy and information environment, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, July 2017, Volume 49(1), 159-194, doi:10.1007/s11156-016-0586-9
- J. Barry Lin and Chunhui Liu (2015). R&D, corporate governance, firm size and firm valuation: evidence from Taiwanese companies, International Journal of Corporate Governance, Vol. 4, 2015.
- Robert Pech, Barry Lin, Bingsheng Yi, Chia-Wei Chen (2015). Dissecting a Company’s Innovative Capabilities and Strategic Position in a Knowledge Economy. Strategic Management Quarterly, 3(3), pp. 73-81
- Chen, Chia-Wei, & Yi, Bingsheng, & Lin, Jang-Shee Barry (2015). DOES ADOPTION OF COMPENSATION COMMITTEE BENEFIT SAHREHOLDERS? EVIDENCE FROM TAIWAN. Journal of International Finance and Economics, 15(4), 7-18.
- J. Barry Lin (2015). Information asymmetry, capital expenditure, operating cash flow and firm valuation, Journal of International Finance Studies, October 2015.
- J. Barry Lin, J. Mooney, B. Yi and M. Zhao (2015). Pension Finance—the Critical Role of Discount Rate Assumption, Journal of Academy of Business and Economics, 15(3), 45-58.
- J. Barry Lin, Chia-Wei Chen and B. Yi (2015), Media Coverage, Board Structure and CEO Compensation: Evidence from Taiwan, Journal of Multinational Financial Management 23 (5), 434-445, 2013.
- J. Barry Lin, J. Mooney and B. Yi (2015). A REVIEW OF ECONOMIC IMPACTS AND DETERMINANTS OF FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES, Journal of Academy of Business and Economics.
- J. Barry Lin, C. Chen and B. Yi (2015). Director Compensation and Corporate Governance—An Unique Examination of Unpaid Corporate Boards in Taiwan, Journal of Applied Financial Research 1, 2015
- J. Barry Lin and J. Mooney (2014). Modeling CSR Project Costs and Benefits Using the Concept of Socially-responsible NPV, Mustang Journal of Business and Ethics.
- J. Barry Lin, C. Chen and B. Yi (2013). Directors and Officers’ Liability Insurance and Managerial Compensation, Journal of International Finance Studies.
- Chen, C., Yi, B., & Lin, J. Barry. (2013) Media Coverage, Board Structure and CEO Compensation: Evidence from Taiwan. Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
- Chen, C. & Lin, J. Barry (2012). Director Affiliations and Shareholder Wealth during the Announcement of Acquisitions. Journal of Financial Studies, 20 (1).
- Chen, C., Yi, B., & Lin, J. Barry (2012). Directors’ liability insurance and stock market liquidity. Journal of International Finance Studies, 11 (2), 171-179.
- Lin, J. Barry, Yi, B., & Mooney, J. (2012). Interplay among the Large Investor Groups and the Ownership-Performance Relationship. Corporate Ownership and Control, 9 (3).
- Yi, B., Lin, B., & Mooney, J. (2011). EQUITY OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE AND CORPORATE PERFORMANCE USING INDUSTRY-ADJUSTED MEASURES. Corporate Ownership and Control, 7 (4).
- Pantzalis, C., Park, J., & Lin, B. (2010). Corporate Hedging Policy and Equity Mispricing. Financial Review, 45 (3).
- Lin, B., Park, J., & Pantzalis, C. (2009). Derivative Use, Information Asymmetry and MNC Post-acquisition Performance. Financial Management, 38 (3), 631-661.
- Yi, B., Lin, B., & Chen, C. (2009). SELF-SELETION BIAS AND FINANCING COSTS–A UNIFIED ANALYSIS ON FINANCING CHOICES AND OFFERING COSTS. Journal of International Finance and Economics.
- Pencek, T., Lin, B., & Hikmet, N. (2009). Stock Market Performance Of Health Care Initial Public Offerings. Journal of Business and Economic Studies, 15 (2).
- Mooney, J., Weidon, k., & Lin, B. (2009). Tax-Related Political Costs and Incentives to Voluntarily Expense Stock Options–An Analysis of the Regulatory Landscape. Corporate Ownership and Control,7 (1).
- Chen, C., Lin, J. Barry, & Yi, B. (2008). Two faces of busy outside directors. Corporate Ownership and Control, 6 (2).
- Chen, C., Lin, J. Barry, & Yi, B. (2008). CEO Duality and Firm Performance–An Endogenous Issue. Corporate Ownership and Control, 6 (1).
- Lin, B. & Yi, B. (2008). Does Derivative Use Help Reduce the Cost of Debt? Review of Business Research.
- Lin, B. & Yi, B. (2008). Insiders versus Outside Monitors and Firm Performance: Comparing Large and Small. Journal of International Business Research.
- Lin, B., Yi, B., & El-Badawi, M. (2008). Pre-issue investor optimism and post-issue underperformance. Financial Analysts Journal.
- Lin, B., Pantzalis, C., & Park, J. C. (2007). Corporate Use of Derivatives and Excess Value of Diversification. Journal of Banking and Finance.
- Lin, B., Pantzalis, C., & Antia, M. (2007). Cultural Distance and Valuation of Multinational Corporations. Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
- Lin, B. & Pantzalis, C. (2007). When Does Leverage Hurt–Effects of Information Asymmetry and Agency Costs. Journal of Financial and Economic Practice.
- Lin, B., Herbst, A., & Yi, B. (2006). A Simple Application of Real-Options to the Valuation of Pre-IPO High-Growth Firms. Journal of Financial Education.
- Lin, B. (2004). An Instructional Case in Real Options. Journal of Financial Education.
- Lin, B. (2004). Corporate Leverage and Future Growth: Evidence from Indonesia’s Emerging Capital Markets. Global Business Finance Review.
- Lin, J. B. & Yi, B. (2003). Size Effect in the relationship between Equity ownership Structure and Corporate Performance. Global Business Finance Review.
- Chotigeat, T., Hikmet, N., & Lin, J. B. (2003). Size, Profitability, Valuation and Capital Structure: A Structural Equation. Journal of Financial and Economic Practice.
- Lin, J. B., Chotigeat, T., & Ho, A. (2003). The Gold and Silver Futures Markets: an Analysis of Short-term Price Reversal. Global Business Finance Review.
- T. Chotigeat and J. Barry Lin (2002). Differential Overreaction in the Opening and Settlement Prices in the Index Futures Market, Journal of Financial and Economic Practice.
- T. Chotigeat and J. Barry Lin (2002). Short-run Relationship between the Mexican Stock Market and Peso Exchange Rate, Business Research Yearbook.
- T. Chotigeat and J. Barry Lin (2001). Coping with the 1997 Financial Crisis: Policy Issues in Southeast-Asia, Multinational Business Review.
- T. Chotigeat and J. Barry Lin (2000). Overreation and Short-term Market Factors in the Interest Rate Futures Markets, Global Business and Finance Review.
- J. Barry Lin (2000). The Incentive Role of Government Export Assistance Programs in Foreign Markets under Competition—A Game Theoretical Analysis, Global Business and Finance Review.
- J. Barry Lin, J. Onochie, and A.Wolf (1999). Weekday Variation of Contrarian Profits in the Futures Markets, Review of Financial Economics. Top 10 most Downloaded RFE papers for 1999.