Associate Professor of Geophysics, Department of Earth Sciences
Telephone: +971 (0)2 60 75381
Dr. Bouzidi is presently an Associate Professor of Geophysics at The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates
Prior to his Ph.D. Dr. Bouzidi lectured at the Algerian Petroleum Institute from 1984 to 1996 in the Geophysics Department where he also served as department chair during one year. He has then joined the oil industry for 7 years as a research geophysicist.
His research interests are seismic data processing, wave propagation in porous media, carbonate rock physics, seismic attribute analysis, Vertical Seismic Profiling and reservoir characterization.
Dr. Bouzidi has published many articles in renowned refereed journals and conference proceedings. He also delivered several presentations in international conferences and serves as a reviewer for international journals in geophysics. He is an active member of SEG and AGU and is serving as the SEG student chapter advisor at the institute.
Dr. Bouzidi has both educational and oil industry research experience and obtained several scholarships and awards. He has been awarded the American Geophysical Union, Tectonophysics section, outstanding paper in 2001. He also received the ADNOC 2012 R&D Science Lantern Faculty Award and the ADNOC 2014 R&D recognition Reward.
Dr. Bouzidi was awarded grants for geophysical projects both internally at the institute and from ADNOC R&D.
Dr. Bouzidi has several years of experience both in education and in the oil industry research. He is an active member of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) since 1996. Dr. Bouzidi is also a member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and is currently serving as the SEG student chapter advisor at the institute.
- Reflection Seismology
- Seismic Reflection Interpretation
- Petroleum Geophysics
- Research Projects
- 1) Multi-Offset Vertical Seismic Profiling and Cross-well Travel-time Tomography Inversion: Application to Carbonate ReservoirsPrincipal investigator and funded by ADNOC Oil Subcommittee
- 2) Seismic Refraction and Microgravity Feasibility Study of Groundwater Monitoring in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, U.A.EPrincipal Investigator and funded by PI Research Initiation Funding Program
- 3) Enhancement of Fracture Characterization by Innovative Geophysical Data Processing and Integration in Carbonate ReservoirsCo-investigator and funded by ADNOC Oil SubcommitteeResearch interests
- Seismic data processing
- Wave propagation in porous media
- Carbonate rock physics
- Seismic attribute analysis
Vertical Seismic Profiling and reservoir characterization
- Refereed Journals
Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “Angle-dependent acoustic reflections from fluid-saturated porous solids”, Geophysical Journal International, 191, pp. 1427–1440, 2012.
- Y. Bouzidi and Schmitt D. R., “Measurement of the speed and attenuation of the Biot slow wave using a large ultrasonic transmitter”, Journal of Geophysical Research, 114, no. 8, pp. 1-14, 2009.
- Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “Quantitative Modeling of Reflected Ultrasonic Bounded Beams and a New Estimate of the Schoch Shift”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 55 (12), pp. 2661-2673, 2008.
- Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “Acoustic reflectivity goniometry of bounded ultrasonic pulses: Experimental validation of numerical models”, Journal of Applied Physics, 104, pp. 1-8(0649141), 2008.
- Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “A large ultrasonic bounded acoustic pulse transducer for transmission goniometry: Modeling and calibration”, Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 119 (1) pp. 54-64, 2006.
- Y. Bouzidi, D. R. Schmitt, R. A. Burwash and E. R. Kanasewich, “Depth Migration of Deep Reflection Profiles from the Alberta Basement Transects: Crustal Thickness Variations in Alberta”, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 39 (3), pp. 331-350, 2002.
- R. A. Burwash, T. Chacko, K. Muehlenbachs and Y. Bouzidi, “Oxygen isotope systematics of the Precambrian Basement of Alberta: Implications for Paleoproterozoic and Phanerozoic tectonics in Northwestern Canada”, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 37 (11), pp. 1611-1628, 2000.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Y. Bouzidi and S. Ullah, “A case study of the influence of a carbonate outcrop on groundwater distribution in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates ”, 4rd International Conference on Engineering Geophysics, Expanded Abstract, SEG-ICEG, 2017.
- E. M. T. Takougang and Y. Bouzidi, “Application of visco-acoustic waveform tomography to walkaway VSP data from a carbonate reservoir”, SEG Expanded Abstracts, 2017.
- E. M. T. Takougang and Y. Bouzidi, “Imaging Fractures and Small Faults in a Carbonate Reservoir using Waveform Tomography and Reverse Time Migration” , Expanded Abstract, 15th SAGA Conference and Exhibition, 2017
- E. M. T. Takougang and Y. Bouzidi “Application of Full-waveform Tomography to VSP Walkaway Data”, ASEG Extended Abstracts: 25th International Geophysical Conference and Exhibition: pp. 484-487, 2016.
- A. Vesnaver, Y. Bouzidi, and L. Hou, “Recent technologies for near surface imaging in the Arabian Peninsula”, 3rd International Conference on Engineering Geophysics, EG30, (SEG-ICEG) Expanded Abstract, 2015.
- Y. Bouzidi, “A Case Study to Detect the Extent of a Carbonate Outcrop in the Subsurface Using Microgravity”, 3rd International Conference on Engineering Geophysics, Expanded Abstract, SEG-ICEG, EG35, 2015.
- Y. Bouzidi and A. Vesnaver “Recent Technologies for Land Seismic Imaging over a Complex Near-Surface Overburden”, Expanded Abstract, SPE-117479-MSMS, Abu Dhabi, 2015.
- Y. Bouzidi. “Numerical Models of Converted Slow P-wave Modes in Porous Media”, Poromechanics, doi: 10.1061/9780784412992.039, 2013.
- Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “Definitive Detection of the Slow Compressional Wave in Saturated Porous Synthetic Rock”, CSEG expanded abstracts, pp. 1-3, 2002
- Y. Bouzidi and D. R. Schmitt, “Laboratory calibration of amplitude variation with angle using an acoustic goniometer”, SEG Expanded Abstracts, DOI:10.1190/1.1815863, 19, pp. 210-213, 2000.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- E. M. T. Takougang and Y. Bouzidi, “Imaging Faults in Carbonate Reservoir using Full Waveform Inversion and Reverse Time Migration of Walkaway VSP Data”, AGU Fall Meeting, Advances in Exploration Geophysics II, NS14A-03, 2016.
- Y. Bouzidi and E. M. T. Takougang, “A strategy for the application of frequency domain acoustic waveform tomography to marine Walkaway VSP data”, AGU Fall Meeting, Advances in Exploration Geophysics II, NS14A-08, 2016
- Y. Bouzidi, “Reflectivity and Transmissivity of Seismic Waves at Fluid-Saturated Fractures”, 10th North American Workshop on Application of the Physics of Porous Media, Ensenada, Mexico, 2014.
- Y. Bouzidi, “Influence of Seismic Wave Attenuation on Reflectivity in Reservoir Rocks”, SPE-Meeting on Reservoir Characterization, Dubai, UAE, 2013.
- Y. Bouzidi, “Reflectivity from Carbonates: Can Amplitude Variation with Offset Be an Effective Attribute”? ION-Forum Abu Dhabi, 2012.
- Y. Bouzidi, “Quantitative Experimental Test of Reflectivity from Liquid-saturated Porous Rocks”, 9th North American Workshop on Application of the Physics of Porous Media, Ensenada, Mexico, 2011.