Professor, Department of Earth Sciences
Telephone: +971 (0)2 607 5282
Professor Mohammed Ali has a BSc in Exploration Geology from Cardiff University, an MSc in Geophysics from Birmingham University, a Postgraduate Certificate in Education from UWCN, and a PhD in Marine Geophysics from Oxford University. His current research projects are focused on exploration geophysics in the areas of passive seismic, seismic stratigraphy and reservoir characterization and modelling. Other research interests include basin analysis, crustal studies, and the structure of passive margins. Mohammed joined the Petroleum Institute in 2003 and currently, he is a Professor of Geophysics. He is a member of the SEG, EAGE and AGU.
- PhD (Marine Geophysics), Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Postgraduate Certificate (Education), University of Wales, Newport, United Kingdom
- MSc (Geophysics), Birmingham University, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- BSc (Exploration Geology), Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
- Introduction to Geology and Geophysics
- Petroleum Geophysics
- Seismic Reflection Interpretation
- Petroleum Systems Project
- Structural Interpretation
- Sedimentary Basin Analysis
- Tectonic evolution of the UAE mountains and foreland basins
- Microseismic monitoring of carbonate reservoirs
- Fracture systems in carbonate reservoirs
- Seismic anisotropy of carbonate fractured reservoirs
- Tectonic evolution of conjugate margins of Gulf of Aden
- M. Li, M.Y. Ali, G. Tao, W. Alakberi, H. Alnuaimi “monitoring of induced microseismicity in an onshore oilfield from Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: Implications for carbonate reservoir monitoring,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 152, 33–48, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2017.02.012
- M.Y. Ali, J.D. Fairheadb, C.M. Green, A. Noufal “Basement structure of the United Arab Emirates derived from an analysis of regional gravity and aeromagnetic database” Tectonophysics, 712–713, 503–522, 2017, doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2017.06.006.
- F. Bouchaala, and M.Y Ali, and J. Matsushima, “Estimation of seismic attenuation in carbonate rocks using three different methods: Application on VSP data from Abu Dhabi oilfield,” Journal of Applied Geophysics, vol. 126, pp. 79-91, 2016.
- F. Bouchaala, F., M.Y. Ali, and J. Matsushima, “Attenuation modes from Vertical Seismic Profiling and sonic waveform in a carbonate reservoir, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates,”Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 26, pp.1030-1047, 2016.
- J. Matsushima, M.Y. Ali, and F. Bouchaala, “Seismic attenuation estimation from zero-offset VSP data using seismic interferometry,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 204, pp. 1288-1307, 2016.
- M.Y. Ali, and A. Farid, “Cretaceous-Neogene structural evolution of SE Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates,” Journal of Petroleum Geology, vol. 39(3), pp. 221-246, 2016.
- M.Y. Ali, and A.B. Watts, “Tectonic evolution of sedimentary basins of northern Somalia,” Basin Research, vol. 28(3), pp. 340-364, 2016.
- A. Salem, and M.Y. Ali, “Mapping basement structures in the northwestern offshore of Abu Dhabi from high-resolution aeromagnetic data,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 64(3), pp. 726-740, 2016.
- M.Y. Ali, “Petroleum Geology and hydrocarbon potential of Guban basin, northern Somaliland,” Journal of Petroleum Geology, vol. 38(4), pp. 433-457, 2015.
- F. Bouchaala, M.Y. Ali, and A. Farid, “Estimation of compressional seismic wave attenuation of carbonate rocks in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates,” Comptes Rendus Geoscience, vol. 346, pp. 169-178, 2014.
- M.Y. Ali, J. W. Cooper, M.P. Searle, and A. Al-Lazki, “Origin of gypsiferous intrusions in the Hawasina window, Oman mountains: Implications from structural and gravity investigations,” GeoArabia, vol. 19, pp. 17-48, 2014.
- M.Y. Ali, A.B. Watts, and A. Farid, “Gravity anomalies of the United Arab Emirates: Implications for basement structures and infra-Cambrian salt distribution,” GeoArabia, vol. 19, pp. 85-112, 2014.
- M.Y. Ali, and A.B. Watts, “Subsidence history, crustal structure, and evolution of the Somaliland-Yemen conjugate margin,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 118, pp. 1-12, 2013.
- M.Y. Ali, B. Barkat, K.A. Berteussen, and J. Small, “A low-frequency passive seismic array experiment over an onshore oil field in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates,” Geophysics, vol. 78, pp. B159-B176, July 1, 2013 2013.