Dr. Fateh Bouchaala
Telephone: +971 (02) 607 5168
Dr. Fateh Bouchaala has been associated with department of Earth Sciences since 2019. He received his PhD in Marine Geoscience at the University of Western Brittany (UBO), Brest, France. He started his professional teaching and research career as an assistant professor in the University of Marseilles followed by a Marie Curie postdoc at the Geophysical Institute of Prague then as a Research and Teaching Associate at the Petroleum Institute of Abu Dhabi.
His research focus on the study of wave propagation from micro (less than 1Hz) to macro scale (Mega-Hertz). His research has direct applications on exploration geophysics, seismology and civil engineering.
Dr. Fateh Bouchaala has been an active member of the Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG), European Association of Geoscientists and Engineering (EAGE), the Japanese Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEGJ) and the French Association of Mechanics (AFM). He is also an active reviewer for geophysics, Geophysical Prospecting and journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology.
- PhD (Geoscience Marine), University of Western Brittany, France.
- Master (Mechanics and Civil Engineering), University of Rennes 1, France.
- Seismic Acquisition and Processing
- Petroleum Geophysics
- Introduction to Geology and Geophysics
- Reflection seismology
- Experimental and numerical modeling of mechanical waves.
- Investigation of fractured reservoirs.
- Seismic wave attenuation.
- Concrete investigation
Selected Publications and Patents
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, J. Matsushima, Y. Bouzidi, E. M. T. Takougang, A. A. Mohamed, and A. A. Sultan. 2019, “Azimuthal investigation of compressional seismic wave attenuation in a fractured reservoir” Geophysics, in press.
- Takougang, E. M. T., M. Y. Ali, Y. Bouzidi, Bouchaala, A. A. Mohamed, and A. A. Sultan. 2018, “Extraction and characterization of faults and fractures from 3D VSP data in a carbonate reservoir: A workflow”. Journal of Petroleum Sciences and Engineering, 182, 106382.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Ali, and J. Matsushima. 2019, “Attenuation study of a clay-rich dense zone in fractured carbonate reservoir”. Geophysics, 84, 205-216.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, J. Matsushima, Y. Bouzidi, E. M. T. Takougang, A. A. Mohamed, and A. A. Sultan. 2019, “Scattering and intrinsic attenuation as a potential tool to study of a fractured reservoir”. Journal of Petroleum Sciences and Engineering, 174, 533-543.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, and J. Matsushima. 2018, “Detailed study of seismic wave attenuation from four oilfields in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates”. Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, 15, no. 1,106.
- Matsushima, J., M. Y. Ali, and Bouchaala. 2018, “Attenuation estimation from sonic logging waveforms combining seismic interferometry and common-midpoint approach”. Geophysics, 83, no. 1, WA21-WA35.
- Matsushima, J., M. Y. Ali, and F. Bouchaala. 2017, “A novel method for separating intrinsic and scattering attenuation for zero-offset vertical seismic profiling data”. Geophysical Journal International, 211, no. 3, 1655-1668.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, and J. Matsushima. 2016, “Attenuation modes from vertical seismic profiling and sonic waveform in a carbonate reservoir, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates”. Geophysical Prospecting, 64, no. 4,1030-1047.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, and J. Matsushima. 2016, “Estimation of seismic attenuation in carbonate rocks using three different methods: Application on VSP data from Abu Dhabi oilfield”. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 129, 79-91.
- Matsushima, J., M. Y. Ali, and F. Bouchaala. 2015, “Seismic attenuation estimation from zero-offset VSP data using seismic interferometry”. Geophysical Journal International, 204, no. 2, 1288-1307.
- Alexandrakis, C., M. Calò, Bouchaala, and V. Vavryčuk. 2014, “Velocity structure and the role of fluids in the West Bohemia Seismic Zone”. Solid Earth, 5, no. 2,863-872.
- Bouchaala, F., M. Y. Ali, and A. Farid. 2014, “Estimation of compressional seismic wave attenuation of carbonate rocks in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates”. Comptes Rendus Geoscience, 346, no. 7-8,169-178.
- Bouchaala, F., V. Vavryčuk, and T. Fischer. 2013, “Accuracy of the master-event and double-difference locations: synthetic tests and application to seismicity in West Bohemia, Czech Republic”. Journal of seismology, 17, no. 3,841-859.
- Vavryčuk, V., Bouchaala, and T. Fischer. 2013, “High-resolution fault image from accurate locations and focal mechanisms of the 2008 swarm earthquakes in West Bohemia, Czech Republic”. Tectonophysics, 590,189-195.
- Bouchaala, F., and C. Guennou. 2012, “Estimation of viscoelastic attenuation of real seismic data by use of ray tracing software: Application to the detection of gas hydrates and free gas”. Comptes Rendus Geosciences, 344, no. 2, 57-66.
- Bouchaala, F., C. Payan, V. Garnier, and J. Balayssac. 2011, “Carbonation assessment in concrete by nonlinear ultrasound”. Cement and Concrete Research, 41, no. 5,557-559.