Dr. Zeyar Aung
Dr. Zeyar Aung is currently an Associate Professor in Department of Computer Science at the Khalifa University and Science and Technology, Masdar Institute. He earned his PhD in Computer Science from the National University of Singapore in 2006. Dr. Aung joined Masdar Institute as an Assistant Professor in 2010. Prior to that, he worked as a research fellow in Institute for Infocomm Research, A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research), Singapore from 2006 to 2010.
Dr. Aung’s current research interests are in data analytics, data science, and their applications in various domains like smart power grid, cyber security, social media, etc. His past research interests were in bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. He is a senior member of IEEE.
- PhD in Computer Science from the National University of Singapore in 2006.
- FDN454 Algorithms
- CIS606 Machine Learning
- CIS611 Multimodal Data Mining
- CIS612 Information Security
- UCC501 Sustainable Energy
Teaching interests: data analytics and data science
- Masdar Institute IoT campus: Application to public health and city occupancy (Huawei project; 2017-2018; Funding USD 2,000,000 in kind and USD 500,000 in cash) – Co-Investigator.
- Predictive shimming in aircraft component assembly (STRATA project; 2015-2016; Funding USD 200,000) – Co-Investigator.
- The economic impact of advanced technology and automation on oil and gas sector (Masdar Institute-MIT project; 2014-2016; Funding: USD 250,000) – Co-Investigator.
- Development of advanced microclimate and urban energy analysis modeling environment and its validation by wide area sensor networks and remote sensing for future adaptation of urban infrastructure (Masdar Institute-MIT Flagship project; 2014-2016; Funding USD 1,400,000) – Co-Investigator.
- Data mining for smart power grids (Masdar-MIT project; 2010-2013; Funding: USD 250,000) – Principal Investigator.
- Monitoring and control of renewable energy generation (Masdar Institute project; 2011-2012; Funding: USD 99,977) – Principal Investigator.
- Advanced load forecasting for smart buildings (Siemens AG project; 2012-2013; Funding: USD 298,957) – Principal Investigator.
General Research Interests:
- Data Analytics, Data Science, and their applications in various domains (like smart power grid, cyber security, social media, etc.)
- I. Karakatsanis, W. AlKhader, F. MacCrory, A. Alibasic, M.A. Omar, Z. Aung, and W.L. Woon, “Data mining approach to monitoring the requirements of the job market: A case study,” Information Systems, 65:1–6, 2017.
- B. Neupane, W.L. Woon, and Z. Aung, “Ensemble prediction model with expert selection for electricity price forecasting,” Energies, 10:77, doi:10.3390/en10010077, 2017.
- A. A. Mohammed and Z. Aung, “Ensemble learning approach for probabilistic forecasting of solar power generation,” Energies, 9:1017, doi:10.3390/en9121017, 2016.
- M. A. Azim, Z. Aung, W. Xiao, V. Khadkikar, and A. Jamalipour, “SPSA-NC: Simultaneous perturbation stochastic approximation localization based on neighbor confidence,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 16: 1570–1587, 2016.
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, J. Williams and A. Sanchez, “Data-stream-based intrusion detection system for advanced metering infrastructure in smart grid: A feasibility study,” IEEE Systems Journal, 9:31–44, 2015.
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “Efficient and fault-diagnosable authentication architecture for AMI in smart grids,” Security and Communication Networks, 8:598–616, 2015.
- M.A. Azim and Z. Aung, “Power allocation in cooperative sensor networks: A stochastic approximation approach,” IET Journal of Engineering, DOI: 10.1049/joe.2014.0184. 2015.
- R. Oentaryo, E.P. Lim, F. Zhu, D. Lo, M. Finegold, C. Phua, E.Y. Cheu, G.E. Yap, K. Sim, M.N. Nguyen, K. Perera, B. Neupane, M.A. Faisal, Z. Aung, W.L. Woon, C. Wei, D. Patel, and D. Berrar, “Detecting fraudulent patterns in online advertising: A data mining approach,” Journal of Machine Learning Research, 15:99–140, 2014.
- M. A. Azim, Z. Aung, W. Xiao and V. Khadkikar, “Constrained cross-entropy localization technique for wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Article ID 267369, 2014.
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “P3: Privacy preservation protocol for automatic appliance control application in smart grid,” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 1:414–429, 2014.
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “No peeking: Privacy-preserving demand response system in smart grids,” International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems, 29:290–315, 2014.
- W. Hugo, F. Song, Z. Aung, S.K. Ng, and W.K. Sung, “SLiM on Diet: Finding short linear motifs on domain interaction interfaces in Protein Data Bank,” Bioinformatics, 26:1036–1042, 2010.
- Z. Aung, S.H. Tan, S.K. Ng, and K.L. Tan, “PPiClust: Efficient clustering of 3-D protein-protein interaction interfaces,” Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 6:415–433, 2008.
- Z. Aung and K.L. Tan, “Rapid retrieval of protein structures from databases,” Drug Discovery Today, 12:732–739, 2007.
- Z. Aung and K.L. Tan, “MatAlign: Precise protein structure comparison by matrix alignment,” Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 4:1197–1216, 2006.
- Z. Aung and K.L. Tan, “Automatic 3D protein structure classification without structural alignment,” Journal of Computational Biology, 12:1221–1241, 2005.
- Z. Aung and K.L. Tan, “Rapid 3D protein structure database searching using information retrieval techniques,” Bioinformatics, 20:1045–1052, 2004.
- A. Sanchez, D. Li, Z. Aung, and J. R. Williams, “Cyber security of smart meters,” in International Handbook of Smart Grid Development, Wiley, in press, 2016.
- Z. Aung, “Database systems for the smart gird,” in Smart Grid: Opportunities, Developments and Trends (edited by A. B. M. Shawkat Ali), Springer, pages 151–168, 2013.
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers:
- A. Karapetyan, S.K. Azman, and Z. Aung, “Assessing the privacy cost in centralized event-based demand response for microgrids,” the 16th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), Sydney, Australia, August 2017, accepted for publication.
- D. Syed, T.-H. Chang, D. Svetinovic, T. Rahwan, and Z. Aung, “Security for complex cyber-physical and industrial control systems: Current trends, limitations, and challenges,” the 2017 Pacific-Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), Langkawi, Malaysia, July 2017, accepted for publication.
- P. Manandhar, Z. Aung, and P. Marpu, “Segmentation based building detection in high resolution satellite images,” the 2017 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Fort Worth, Texas, USA, July 2017, accepted for publication.
- D. Masri, W.L. Woon, and Z. Aung, “Soil property prediction: An extreme learning machine approach,” in Proc. 22nd International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP) Part II, LNCS Vol. 9490, pages 18–27, Istanbul, Turkey, November 2015.
- W. L. Woon, Z. Aung, W. Alkhader, D. Svetinovic, and M.A. Omar, “Changes in occupational skills – A case study using non-negative matrix factorization,” in Proc. 22nd International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP) Part III, LNCS Vol. 9491, pages 627–634, 2015. Istanbul, Turkey, November 2015.
- Z. Shoroye, W. Yaqub, A.A. Mohammed, Z. Aung, and D. Svetinovic, “Exploring social contagion in open-source communities by mining software repositories,” in Proc. 22nd International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP) Part IV, LNCS Vol. 9492, pages 120–217, Istanbul, Turkey, November 2015.
- S. Lukman, Z. Aung, and K. Sim, “Multiple structural clustering of bromodomains of the bromo and extra terminal (BET) proteins highlights subtle differences in their structural dynamics and acetylated leucine binding pocket,” in Proc. 15th International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS), Procedia Computer Science Vol. 51, pages 735–744, Reykjavik, Iceland, June 2015.
- Y.C. Chang and Z. Aung, “AuthorRank: A new scheme for identifying field-specific key researchers,” in Proc. 8th International Conference on Information Resources Management (Conf-IRM), pages P01:1–13, Ottawa, Canada, May 2015.
- A.A. Mohammed, W. Yaqub, and Z. Aung, “Probabilistic forecasting of solar power: An ensemble learning approach,” in Proc. 7th International KES Conference on Intelligent Decision Technologies (KES-IDT), Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies Vol. 39, pages 449–458, Sorrento, Italy, June 2015.
- N. O. Al Abdouli, Z. Aung, W.L. Woon, and D. Svetinovic, “Tackling class imbalance problem in binary classification using augmented neighborhood cleaning algorithm,” in Proc. 6th International Conference on Information Science and Applications (ICISA), LNEE Vol. 339, pages 827–834, Pattaya, Thailand, 2015.
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, W.L. Woon, and D. Svetinovic, “Augmented query strategies for active learning in stream data mining,” in Proc. 21st International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP) Part III, LNCS Vol. 8836, pages 431–438, Kuching, Malaysia, November 2014.
- W. L Woon, K.S.D. Wong, Z. Aung, and D. Svetinovic, “Document versioning using feature space distances,” in Proc. 21st International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP) Part II, LNCS Vol. 8835, pages 487–494, Kuching, Malaysia, November 2014.
- P. Manandhar and Z. Aung, “Towards practical anomaly-based intrusion detection by outlier mining on TCP packets,” in Proc. 25th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA) Part II, LNCS Vol. 8645, pages 164–173, Munich, Germany, September 2014.
- N. Liu, W.L. Woon, Z. Aung, and A. Afshari, “Handling class imbalance in customer behavior prediction,” Proc. 2014 IEEE International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS), pages 100–103, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, May 2014.
- P. Manandhar and Z. Aung, “Intrusion detection based on outlier detection method,” in Proc. 2014 International conference on Intelligent Systems, Data Mining and Information Technology (ICIDIT), pages 68–73, Bangkok, Thailand, 2014. [Best session paper award winner]
- W. Shen, V. Babushkin, Z. Aung, and W.L. Woon, “An ensemble model for day-ahead electricity demand time series forecasting,” in Proc. 4th ACM Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy), pages 51–62, Berkeley, California, USA, May 2013.
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “P3: Privacy preservation protocol for appliance control application,” in Proc. 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), pages 294–299, Tainan, Taiwan, November 2012.
- B. Neupane, Z. Aung, and W.L. Woon, “A new image edge detection method using quality-based clustering,” in Proc. 10th IASTED International Conference on Visualization, Imaging, and Image Processing (VIIP), pages 20–26, Banff, Canada, July 2012.
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “Securing advanced metering infrastructure using intrusion detection system with data stream mining,” in Proc. 2012 Pacific Asia Workshop on Intelligence and Security Informatics (PAISI), LNCS Vol. 7299, pages 96–111, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2012. [Best paper award winner]
- Z. Aung, M. Toukhy, J. Williams, A. Sanchez, and S. Herrero, “Towards accurate electricity load forecasting in smart grids,” in Proc. 4th International Conference on Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications (DBKDA), pages 51–57, Reunion Island, France, February 2012.
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “Efficient authentication scheme for data aggregation in smart grid with fault tolerance and fault diagnosis,” in Proc. 2012 IEEE Power and Energy Society Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), pages 1–8, Washington DC, USA, January 2012.
- J. Williams, S. Herrero-Lopez, C. Leonardi, S. Chan, A. Sanchez, and Z. Aung, “Large in-memory cyber-physical security-related analytics via scalable coherent shared memory architectures,” in Proc. 2011 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Cyber Security (CICS), pages 1–9, Paris, France, April 2011.
- K. Sim, Z. Aung, and V. Gopalkrishnan, “Discovering correlated subspace clusters in 3D continuous-valued data,” in Proc. 10th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), pages 471–480, Sydney, Australia, December 2010.
- Z. Aung and S.K. Ng, “An indexing scheme for fast and accurate chemical fingerprint database searching,” in Proc. 22nd International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM), LNCS Vol. 6187, pages 288–305, Heidelberg, Germany, June 2010.
- Z. Aung, K. Sim, and W.S. Ng, “TrajAlign: A method for precise matching of 3-D trajectories,” in Proc. 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), pages 3818–3821, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2010.
- Z. Aung, S.H. Tan, S.K. Ng, and K.L. Tan, “Uncovering the structural basis of protein interactions with efficient clustering of 3-D interaction interfaces,” in Proc. 6th International Annual Conference on Computational Systems Bioinformatics (CSB), pages 287–297, San Diego, California, USA, August 2007.
- Z. Aung and K.L. Tan, “Automatic protein structure classification through structural fingerprinting,” in Proc. 4th IEEE Symposium on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (BIBE), pages 508–515, Taichung, Taiwan, March 2004.
- Z. Aung, W. Fu, and K.L. Tan, “An efficient index-based protein structure database searching method,” in Proc. 8th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA), pages 311–318, Kyoto, Japan, March 2003.