Dr. Andreas Henschel
Dr. Andreas Henschel earned his M.Sc. and PhD in Computer Science from the Technical University of Dresden (Germany), in 2002 and 2008, respectively. He joined Masdar Institute as a Post-doctoral researcher in 2009. He became Assistant Professor in 2011 at Masdar Institute, UAE. He spent one year at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US as a Visiting Scholar. He has published more than 50 peer reviewed journal papers and conference publications, mainly on the topics of Bioinformatics and Artificial Intelligence, which is also central to his teaching activities since 2012.
As of 2019, he has graduated of six Master students and one PhD student as main supervisor. His research focus is on Genomic Data Science and Bioinformatics, which is at the intersection of health care and AI/Data Science in the Khalifa University research ecosystem. In his capacity as Bioinformatics project leader of the Khalifa University Center for
Biotechnology, he is currently heading the UAE population stratification analysis using large scale data, the creation of large scale Whole Genome Sequencing pipelines and the development of Bioinformatics tools used for Microbiome and Genetic data generated by internal collaborators (focus on Histocompatibility genes) and external collaborators (focus on Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma).
He is currently engaged in an ADEK funded project to predict CRISPR activity using Deep Neural Networks and Transfer Learning techniques.
Amongst other internal and external professional committee services such as Editorial Board participation, he served as the chair of the graduate student admission committee since Fall 2017.
- M.Sc. from the Technical University of Dresden (Germany), 2002
- PhD in Computer Science from the Technical University of Dresden (Germany), 2008
- COSC620 Algorithms in Bioinformatics
- COSC604 Techniques in Artificial Intelligence
Teaching interests: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Machine Learning, Genomic Data Science, Discrete Math for Computer Science.
- Microbiome Informatics
- Machine Learning for Big Data Genetics/Genomics, genotype-phenotype prediction
- Genome Analysis for Next Generation Sequencing
- Deep Learning, in particular Transfer Learning for sequential data
- Mai Oudah and Andreas Henschel. Taxonomy-aware Feature Engineering for Microbiome Classification. BMC Bioinformatics, 2018.
- Andreas Henschel. Beyond Mendel, Beyond Koch: Unravelling multifactorial causation in complex diseases with AI and (Meta-) genomic Big Data. Systems Biology & Proteome Research, 2018
- Martin Polz, Christopher Corzett, Joseph Elsherbini, Diana Chien, Jan-Hendrik Hehemann, Andreas Henschel, Sarah Preheim, Xiaoqian Yu, and Eric Alm. Evolution of a Vegetarian Vibrio: Metabolic Specialization of V. breoganii to Macroalgal Substrates. Journal of Bacteriology, 2018
- Andreas Henschel. Searching Nearest Neighbours in metric Microbiome spaces using phylogenetic distance measures. Systems Biology & Proteome Research, 2017
- Syafiq Kamarul Azman, Muhammad Zohaib Anwar, and Andreas Henschel. Visibiome: an efficient microbiome search engine based on a scalable, distributed architecture. BMC Bioinformatics, 18(1):353, 2017.
- Yamrot M Amha, Muhammad Zohaib Anwar, Rajkumari Kumaraswamy, Andreas Henschel, and Farrukh Ahmad. Mycobacteria in municipal wastewater treatment and reuse: Microbial diversity for screening the occurrence of clinically-and environmentally-relevant species in arid regions. Environmental Science & Technology, 2017.
- Jan-Hendrik Hehemann, Philip Arevalo, Manoshi S. Datta, Annie Yu, Christopher Corzett, Andreas Henschel, Sara P. Preheim, Sonia Timberlake, Eric J. Alm, and Martin F. Polz. Adaptive radiation by waves of horizontal gene transfer leads to fine-scale resource partitioning in marine microbes. Nature Communications, 2016.
- Dabeeruddin Syed, Jadran Sessa, Davor Svetinovic, and Andreas Henschel. Data Analysis of Correlation Between Project Popularity and Code Change Frequency. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including sub-series Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2016
- Andreas Henschel, Muhammad Zohaib Anwar, and Vimitha Manohar. Comprehensive Meta-analysis of Ontology Annotated 16S rRNA Profiles Identifies Beta Diversity Clusters of Environmental Bacterial Communities. PLoS Comput Biol, 11(10):e1004468, 2015.
- Sumaya Al-Hosani, Mai M Oudah, Andreas Henschel, and Lina F Yousef. Global transcriptome analysis of salt acclimated Prochlorococcus AS9601. Microbiological research, 176:21–28, 2015.
- Rajkumari Kumaraswamy, Yamrot M Amha, Muhammad Z Anwar, Andreas Henschel, Jorge Rodriguez, and Farrukh Ahmad. Molecular analysis for screening human bacterial pathogens in municipal wastewater treatment and reuse. Environmental science & technology, 48(19):11610–11619, 2014
- Ali Diabat, Tarek Abdallah and Andreas Henschel. A closed-loop location inventory problem with spare parts consideration. Computers & Operations Research, 2013.
- Christof Winter, Andreas Henschel, Anne Tuukkanen, and Michael Schroeder. Protein interactions in 3D: From interface evolution to drug discovery. Journal of Structural Biology, 179(3):347–358, 2012
- Gihan Dawelbait, Andreas Henschel, Mezher T., and W. L. Woon. Forecasting Renewable Energy technologies in Desalination and Power Generation using Taxonomies. International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, 2011.
- Anne Tuukkanen, Bingding Huang, Andreas Henschel, Francis Stewart, and Michael Schroeder. Structural modeling of histone methyltransferase complex Set1C from Saccharomyces cerevisiae using constraint-based docking. Proteomics, 2010.
- Gihan Dawelbait, Toufiq Mezher, Wei Lee Woon, and Andreas Henschel. Taxonomy based trend discovery of renewable energy technologies in desalination and power generation. In Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), Technology Management for Global Economic Growth, Jul. 2010.
- Annalisa Marsico, Andreas Henschel, Christof Winter, Anne Tuukkanen, Boris Vassilev, Kerstin Scheubert, and Michael Schroeder. Structural fragment clustering reveals novel structural and functional motifs in alpha-helical transmembrane proteins. BMC Bioinformatics, 11(1):204, Apr 2010
- Annalisa Marsico, Kerstin Scheubert, Anne Tuukkanen, Andreas Henschel, Christof Winter, Rainer Winnenburg, and Michael Schroeder. Memotif: a database of linear motifs in alpha-helical transmembrane proteins. Nucleic Acids Res, 38(Database issue):D181–9, Jan 2010.
- Andreas Henschel, Christof Winter, Wan Kyu Kim, and Michael Schroeder. Using structural motif descriptors for sequence-based binding site prediction. BMC Bioinformatics, 2007.
- Andreas Henschel, Wan K. Kim, and Michael Schroeder. Equivalent binding sites reveal convergently evolved interaction motifs. Bioinformatics, 22(5):550–555, March 2006.
- Andreas Henschel. Strukturbasiertes Klassifizieren von Protein-Protein Interaktionen. In D. Wagner et al., editor, Ausgezeichnete Informatikdissertationen 2008 (Distinguished Dissertations in Computer Science), Lecture Notes in Informatics – Dissertations. German Informatics Society (GI), 2009.
- Christof Winter, Andreas Henschel, Wan Kyu Kim, and Michael Schroeder. SCOPPI: a structural classification of protein-protein interfaces. Nucleic Acids Res, 34(Database issue):310–314, Jan 2006.
- Wan Kyu Kim, Andreas Henschel, Christof Winter, and Michael Schroeder. The many faces of protein-protein interactions: A compendium of interface geometry. PLoS Comput Biol, 2(9), Sep 2006. Impact factor 4.9, (Issue Highlight Oct 2006)
- Andreas Henschel, Frank Buchholz, and Bianca Habermann. DEQOR: a web-based tool for the design and quality control of siRNAs. Nucleic Acids Res, 32(Web Server issue):310–314, Jan 2004. Impact Factor 10.16, in Research Highlights 32/2004 of the Max-Planck Society.