Dr. Aamena Ali Alshamsi
Dr. Aamena Alshamsi is an assistant professor of Computing and Information Science and a research affiliate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab. In November 2015 she joined Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, which became part of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology in February 2017. She was a visiting assistant professor at the MIT Media Lab from April 2016 to March 2017. Her work lies at the intersection of data science, network science and multiagent systems, with a focus on complex networks. The applications of her work vary from social networks to economic diversification and dispatch systems.
Dr. Alshamsi earned her PhD degree in Interdisciplinary Engineering from Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (in collaboration with MIT) in 2015 and her MSc Degree in Information Technology (Knowledge and Data Management) from the British University in Dubai (in collaboration with Edinburgh University, UK) in 2009. Besides her academic life, she spent almost four years as a programmer and system analyst at Dubai Road and Transport Authority (2006-2010).
Advisor to current students:
- Mona Al Zubaidi
- Sarah Bamatraf (Co-Advisor)
- Ahmed Awadh Murdad Alhanaee (Co-Advisor)
- PhD degree in Interdisciplinary Engineering from Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (in collaboration with MIT) in 2015
- MSc Degree in Information Technology (Knowledge and Data Management) from the British University in Dubai
- CIS603/COSC603 Multiagent Systems
- CIS621/ COSC721 Techniques in Data Science
Teaching interests: network science; data science/ data analytics; and computational social science
- Research Projects: “Strategic Network Diffusion”
- Research Interests: computational social science; data science/ data analytics; and network science
- Aamena Alshamsi, Flavio Pinheiro, Cesar A. Hidalgo. “Optimal diversification strategies in the networks of related products and of related research areas”, Nature communications. 9(1):1328, 2018.
- Aamena Alshamsi, Fabio Pianesi, Bruno Lepri, Alex Pentland and Iyad Rahwan, “Network diversity and affect dynamics: The role of personality traits”, PLOS ONE, 11(4), e0152358, 2016.
- Aamena Alshamsi, Fabio Pianesi, Bruno Lepri, Alex Pentland, and Iyad Rahwan, “Beyond Contagion: Reality Mining Reveals Complex Patterns of Social Influence”, PLOS ONE, 10(8), e0135740, 2015.
- Aamena Alshamsi, Edmond Awad, Maryam Almehrezi, Vahan Babushkin, Pai-Ju Chang, Zakariyah Shoroye, Attila-Péter Tóthand Iyad Rahwan “Misery loves company: happiness and communication in the city”, EPJ Data Science, 4(1), pp. 1-12, 2015.
- Nicolas Stefanovitch, Aamena Alshamsi, Manuel Cebrian, Iyad Rahwan, Error and attack tolerance of collective problem solving: The DARPA shredder challenge, EPJ Data Science, 3 (1), pp. 1-27, 2014.
- Aamena Alshamsi, Sherief Abdallah, and Iyad Rahwan, “Multiagent self-organization for a taxi dispatch system”, 8th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 21-28, 2009.