Department of Chemistry
PO Box 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
+971 (0)2 607 5023
Ziad has both industrial and teaching experience, having worked on protein and enzyme isolation and quality assurance in a pharmaceutical company in Canada before becoming a chemistry faculty member in 2004. Since then he has been a head of department and served in education management roles. He won the Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Cambridge Awards in 2005 and was nominated for the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Award (2016). Ziad also has an extensive background in advising students and providing career consultations, a notable achievement being his instrumental role in creating the integrated CAMP060 and STEM courses at the Petroleum Institute, which became part of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology in 2017. He also introduced the interactive IT component of the course, the chemistry component of which he has coordinated. He has also contributed to the Freshman Year Education program by conducting several workshops on “effective learning of chemistry”. He is currently doing PhD research on learning, teaching, assessment (LTA) and evaluation theories in higher education.
- In progress PhD in Higher Education: Research, Evaluation and Enhancement Lancaster University UK.
- 2012 MEd Murdoch University, Australia
- 2000 BSc Chemistry University of Victoria, Canada
- CHEM060 Introduction to Chemistry
- CHEM101 General Chemistry I
- CHEM115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM102 General Chemistry II
- CHEM116 General Chemistry II
Learning, teaching, assessment (LTA) and evaluation theories in higher education.
- Chemical education and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
- Renewable energy (thermal energy capture)