Department of Chemistry
PO Box 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
+971 (0)2 607 5217
Paul received his BSc (Hons) in Applied Chemistry followed by PhD from Northumbria University in Newcastle in 1996, with a thesis titled “Novel Side Chain Liquid Crystal Polymers”. He completed his Post Graduate Certificate (PGCE) in Education from Keele 1996. His industrial experience is as a development Chemist with Courtaulds Coatings. He is a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, a Chartered Chemist (2015) and an elected member of the Institute of Corrosion. He is also a member of NACE and for which he serves on the Board of Directors for the founding UAE chapter, and has served as past chairman. His current research interests are in corrosion and corrosion engineering. Since joining the Petroleum Institute (now a part of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology) he has graduated one PhD student and 3 MSc students.
- 1986 BSc (Hons) in Applied Chemistry Newcastle Polytechnic, Newcastle, UK
- 1996 PhD in Chemistry University of Northumbria, Newcastle, UK
- 1996 PGCert in Education University of Keele, UK
- CHEM101 General Chemistry I
- CHEM102 General Chemistry II
- CHEM211 Organic Chemistry.
- CHEM301 Physical Chemistry
- CHEM311 Microbiology and Biocorrosion
- CHEG416 Corrosion Engineering
- CHEM568 Corrosion Science and Physical Chemistry
- CHEM555 Production Chemistry
- CHEG599 MSc Research
- Synthesis of sustainable corrosion inhibitors using novel synthetic approach (paper published).
- Biofouling of seawater intake manifolds.
- Pipeline Cleanliness Assessment: devise a method to provide spatial identification and quantification of gas pipeline scale.
- Pipeline Asset Integrity Management: Development of a flow loop to accurately model corrosion phenomena in oil and gas flowlines, to evaluate Corrosion mitigation methods.
- Sour Gas Condensate Corrosion of Refinery Boiler Heater Tubes.
- The use of Laser Ablation -Inductively Coupled Plasma- Mass Spectrometer (LA-ICP-MS) to evaluate the mixing efficiency of two component coatings formulations.
- Weld root Corrosion in 316L stainless steel. Ph.D. Student.
- Galvanic Corrosion effects in a 22 Cr Tube and CS Shell glycol heat exchanger.
- Effect of expansion ratio on Corrosion rate for expanded pipe in downhole applications.
- Real time monitoring in non aqueous environments.
- Atmospheric Corrosion mapping for the UAE.
- Preferential weld corrosion in CO2 environments.