Dr. Dinesh Shetty has joined as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry in the College of Arts and Science, Khalifa University in fall-2019. He holds M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in chemistry from Mangalore University, India and Seoul National University (SNU), South Korea, respectively. From 2011 to 2013, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, USA and later moved back to South Korea in the year 2013 where he was a research fellow in the group of Professor Kimoon Kim at the Center for Self-assembly and Complexity, Institute for Basic Science, POSTECH. In 2016, he moved to New York University Abu Dhabi as a research scientist. He is a trained organic chemist with hands-on working experience in multidisciplinary research areas including material science, molecular imaging, supramolecular chemistry, radiochemistry and bio-medical science since last 12 years. He is the author of 34 peer reviewed journal papers, 22 conference papers, and 5 patents with h-index of 16. He received Young Investigator Award from Korean Society of Nuclear Medicine and Best Researcher Award from Korean Cancer Research Foundation. He is the recipient of US National Academy of Science Arab-American Frontiers seed grant. He delivered research talks in multiple countries and currently an active member of Royal Society of Chemistry and American Chemical Society.
In addition, he has been serving World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC) abstract review committee member since last 3 years. In his free time, he writes poems and newspaper column articles, and also podcast his thoughts. His research interest is focused on development of multifunctional polymers for various applications including energy, water purification, and biomedical applications.
His publication record can be found in his Google scholar link below: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QVgucAQAAAAJ&hl=en
- PhD in Chemistry, Seoul National University, Korea Republic Of
- MSc in Chemistry, Mangalore University, India
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Material Chemistry
- Design and synthesis of multifunctional porous materials (both amorphous and crystalline) for various applications including water and air purification, toxic remediation, and energy applications.
- Development of polymers for precious natural elements recovery
- Design and development of multi-functional molecules (or materials) for imaging and bio-medical applications
Selected Publications and Patents
- Shetty, D., Skorjanc, T., Olson, M. A., Trabolsi, A. Self-assembly of Stimuli-Responsive Imine-linked Calix  arene Nanocapsules for Targeted Camptothecin Delivery. Commun. 2019, 55, 8876-8879
- Shetty, D., Boutros, S., Eskhan, A., De Lena, A. M., Skorjanc, T., Asfari, Z., Traboulsi, H., Khan, J., Raya, J., Banat, F., Trabolsi, A. Thia-ether-crown-rich calixarene porous polymer for highly efficient removal of mercury from water. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, 11, 12898-12903.
- Skorjanc, T., Shetty, D*, Olson, M. A., Trabolsi, A. Design strategies and redox-dependent applications of insoluble viologen-based covalent organic polymers. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, 11, 6705-6716 (*co-corresponding author).
- Shetty, D., Skorjanc, T., Raya, J., Sharma, S. K., Jahovic, I., Polychronopoulou, K., Han, S-K., Dagawe, A. W., Olsen, J-C., Jagannathan, R., Kirmizialtin, S., Trabolsi, A. Calixarene-based porous organic nanosheets. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2018, 10, 17359–17365.
- Shetty, D., Jahovic, I., Raya, J., Asfari, Z., Olsen, J-C., Trabolsi, A. Porous polycalixarenes for fast and efficient removal of organic micropollutants from water. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2018, 10, 2976-2981.
- Shetty, D., Raya, J., Han, D. S., Asfari, Z., Olsen, J-C., Trabolsi, A. Lithiated polycalixarenes for efficient adsorption of iodine from solution and vapor phases. Mater., 2017, 29, 8968-8972.
- Murray, J., Sim, J., Oh, K., Sung, G., Lee, A., Shrinidhi, A., Thirunarayanan, A., Shetty, D* Kim, K., Enrichment of specifically labeled proteins by an immobilized host molecule (hot paper). Chem. Intl. Ed., 2017, 56, 1-5 (*co-corresponding author).
- Shetty, D., Jahovic, I., Raya, J., Ravaux, F., Jouaid, M., Olsen, J-C., Ali, T., An ultra-absorbent alkyne-rich porous covalent polycalixarene for water purification. Mater. Chem. A, 2017, 5, 62-66.
- Shetty, D., Khedkar, J. K., Park, K. M., Kim, K. Can we beat the biotin–avidin pair?: cucurbit  uril-based ultrahigh affinity host–guest complexes and their applications. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2015, 44, 8747-8761
- Roy, I., Shetty, D., Hota, R., Baek, K., Kim, J., Kim, C., Kappert, S., Kim, K. Multifunctional subpthalocyanine nanosphere for targeting, labeling, and killing of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Chem. Intl. Ed., 2015, 127, 15367-15370.
- Gong, B., Choi, B-K., Kim, J-Y., Shetty, D., Ko, Y. H., Selvapalam, N., Lee, N-K., Kim, K. A high affinity host-guest FRET pair for single-vesicle content mixing assay. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137, 8908-8911.
- Baek, K., Hwang, I., Roy, I., Shetty, D., Kim, K. Self-assembly of nanostructured materials through irreversible covalent bonds formation. Chem. Res., 2015, 48, 2221-2229.
- Kim, J., Baek, K., Shetty, D., Selvapalam, N., Yun, , Hwang, I., Kim, N. H., Lee, J., Kim, K. Reversible Morphological Transformation between Polymer Nanocapsules and Thin Films through Dynamic Covalent Self-assembly. Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed., 2015, 54, 1-6
- Shetty D., Trabolsi, A., Polycalixarene materials, methods of making same, and uses thereof, US Provisional Pat. Appln. No. 62/532,651
- Shim, H., Goodman, M. M., Shetty, D., Oum, Y. H. Preparation of N-(1,2,3-triazol-4-yl)methylsulfonamide derivatives useful as imaging agents and for treatment of arthritis and cancer. USPTO Application:#
- Jeong, J. M., Shetty, D., Lee, D. S., Chung, J. K., Lee, M. C. Triazanonane derivatives or pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof for enhanced fluorine-18 labeling. USPTO Applicaton No:#20130317196. .
- Jeong, J. M., Shetty, D., Lee, D. S., Chung, J. K., Lee, M. C. Heterocycle-amino acid derivatives for targeting cancer tissue and radioactive or non-radioactive labeled compounds thereof. USPTO Applicaton #: #20120029177.